Hop filtering post boil

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
Andre
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:56 am
Name: Andre

Hop filtering post boil

Post by Andre » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:10 pm

I love to brew hoppy beers, our last DIPA used 7oz of hops in a 5G batch.

Transferring to the fermenter tends to bring a lot of trub with it. So we started to use a nylon bag when transferring to filter the wort a bit.

I thought of a hop spider but I'm not a fan of having all the hops in one spot, I feel like it would give diminishing returns with hop utilisation.

What does everyone do for this? Is there a better approach?

Thanks.

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:41 pm

I tried the hop spider and didn't like it. Having the hops float free gives the best results at my place. To avoid transferring to the fermenter, try whirlpooling either with a pump or very patiently with a spoon. Hops and larger debris should settle out in the centre of the kettle.
IMG_20151011_111124.jpg
IMG_20151011_111254.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Post by Keith » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:02 pm

I whirlpool as well. Works great. Have used 1.5 lbs in a dipa without issue so far.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 am
Name: Ryan Swinamer
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Post by Swine » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:35 pm

If whirlpooling with a spoon, how long would you do this for a 5gal batch?

Andre
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:56 am
Name: Andre

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Post by Andre » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:55 pm

Awesome, I'll try that next time.

Derek, I notice you have a side pickup tube. Does that help as well?

User avatar
spickup
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:03 pm

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Post by spickup » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:03 pm

I also whirlpool using a pump, but still find that I get lots of hop debris come through (I make very hoppy beers). I'm thinking about getting a hop spider or something similar. I wonder if there really is any difference having the hops free floating?

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Post by bluenose » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:13 pm

could you put a bazooka screen on the side pickup?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:43 pm

Keith wrote:I whirlpool as well. Works great. Have used 1.5 lbs in a dipa without issue so far.
:stupid:

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:29 pm

Andre wrote:Awesome, I'll try that next time.

Derek, I notice you have a side pickup tube. Does that help as well?
Side pickup definitely helps when whirlpooling since everything lands in the middle. My 5g APA'S and IPA's usually have anywhere from 5 to 8 ounces of pellet hops and I don't have any noticeable amount of hop debris in my carboys.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

saosborne
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: sean osborne
Location: Fall River

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Post by saosborne » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:33 pm

bluenose wrote:could you put a bazooka screen on the side pickup?
I've tried it but the break matter clogged it up, however that was straight off the valve

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm
Name: Mark Bowser
Location: Truro

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Post by Bowserm » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:51 pm

I have heard of guys using a 5 gallon nylon bag (paint bag) for the hops. it would work the same as the spider, but when the boil is finished, you pull the bag out and all the hops goes with it, only it would use the entire kettle instead of a condensed area like the spider would.

Just keep it off the bottom so it won't burn.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests