Imperial Stout Fix

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
I.P.EH
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:14 am
Name: Adam

Imperial Stout Fix

Post by I.P.EH » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:24 pm

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with making an overly sweet stout. I brewed an 8 % Imperial Stout 2 months ago and it sat on vanilla beans in the secondary. I just kegged it this week and the beer has too much residual sweetness for my taste. I'm thinking about adding a cup of cold pressed coffee to balance it out. Does anyone have any other ideas ?
Cheers

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: Imperial Stout Fix

Post by jtmwhyte » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:08 pm

what was the FG? Mash Temp? How long on the yeast?
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

User avatar
I.P.EH
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:14 am
Name: Adam

Re: Imperial Stout Fix

Post by I.P.EH » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:11 pm

The FG was 1.030 which was on the high side but I added lactose during the boil. The mash temp was 67 deg. It was in the primary for 3 weeks. My problem was the combination of lactose and vanilla beans being overwhelming. It is a chili stout so I tried to balance it with moderate sweetness

User avatar
Hobbitfu
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:31 pm
Name: Trevor Funk
Location: Saint John, NB

Re: Imperial Stout Fix

Post by Hobbitfu » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:57 am

How much lactose did you add? And what size batch?

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Imperial Stout Fix

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:28 am

you could try adding a bit of coffee to a glass, then topping off with RIS. you'd get a sense for how it affected the taste, what amount you might want to add, etc.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
I.P.EH
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:14 am
Name: Adam

Re: Imperial Stout Fix

Post by I.P.EH » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:24 am

Thanks. I think that will work. That way i can figure out how much to add to the keg without going too far with the coffee.

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: Imperial Stout Fix

Post by Celiacbrew » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:48 am

As a last resort you could add lactase to it and then krausen it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

User avatar
Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
Name: Steve M
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Imperial Stout Fix

Post by Broob » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:40 am

A bigger beer like that you may be able to water it down a bit. I watered down a porter that didn't finish far enough and it tasted great. It will obviously thin it out a bit but beats having it too sweet. Same idea as the coffee. Get a few glasses and add various amounts of water to them and taste to see which volume works the best. Not hard to scale up to a full batch.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: Imperial Stout Fix

Post by gm- » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:58 pm

You could always make a low abv dry stout and mix the two.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

User avatar
I.P.EH
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:14 am
Name: Adam

Re: Imperial Stout Fix

Post by I.P.EH » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:09 pm

Yeah watering it down might work for me too thanks

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
Name: Jason Loxton
Location: sydney ns

Re: Imperial Stout Fix

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:46 pm

The vanilla will have the effect of making the stout taste sweeter than it actually is (you interpret vanilla and fruit flavours as sweet). Vanilla will fade markedly with time, so letting it sit will be a partial fix on its own.

The suggestions people have are good. I'd be tempted to blend a second batch.

As an aside, how is the vanilla, coffee, jalapeno combination. To be honest, it sounds super gross, but so does a peanut butter and banana sandwich as a concept...

User avatar
I.P.EH
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:14 am
Name: Adam

Re: Imperial Stout Fix

Post by I.P.EH » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:13 pm

Its good to know that the vanilla will fade with time because I know the lactose will not. If blending in coffee will not work I may end up brewing a dry stout to mix into this one. The combo of vanilla, cinnamon and ancho chili came from the idea of a Mexican Hot Chocolate which uses the same ingredients. The Westbrook Brewery in the states makes a similar beer called Mexican Cake that I really enjoyed.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests