CO2 in beer line.

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
robcoombs
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:41 am

CO2 in beer line.

Post by robcoombs » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:29 pm

I've been having this problem intermittently lately. I'll go to pour and I'll get a ton of foam. When I open my kegerator I can see the beer line has filled with co2. Or at least half of it. I'll pour a glass and the line will immediately start filling with tiny bubbles, eventually they pool together and form an air gap. Leading to foamy, undercarbed beer.

The only fix I've found is to let the beer line drop as low as possible, then tap the line to move all the bubbles near the tap. I then pour until the air is gone and repeat until it stops. This does usually solve the problem, but it obviously a huge waste of beer! Does anyone know how to prevent this? Or has it happened to anyone before?

I'm fairly new to kegging so it could just be something stupid I'm doing, or not for that matter.

Image

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: CO2 in beer line.

Post by RubberToe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:43 pm

Your beer lines are getting warm(er) and the CO2 is coming out of solution. Try to find a way to keep them as cool as your keg such as air circulation, routing your lines better, or bundling them together (or all of the above).
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

robcoombs
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:41 am

Re: CO2 in beer line.

Post by robcoombs » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:53 pm

RubberToe wrote:Your beer lines are getting warm(er) and the CO2 is coming out of solution. Try to find a way to keep them as cool as your keg such as air circulation, routing your lines better, or bundling them together (or all of the above).
Thanks! I'll try all of those. I should mention I previously had my beer line coiled neatly and placed on top of each keg. But I had this issue come up, which is when I tried just letting them dangle.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: CO2 in beer line.

Post by RubberToe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:27 pm

Yeah, there could be stratification of the air temperature. I have all my lines zip tied together in one big trunk and a small fan for air circulation, it helps a lot.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

robcoombs
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:41 am

Re: CO2 in beer line.

Post by robcoombs » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:40 pm

RubberToe wrote:Yeah, there could be stratification of the air temperature. I have all my lines zip tied together in one big trunk and a small fan for air circulation, it helps a lot.
Where do you place your coiled lines? Alongside the keg, on top?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: CO2 in beer line.

Post by RubberToe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:43 pm

Because of the limited space in my keezer they go around the side of the collar / above the kegs. If you have room to run them down near a keg it can help but also make sure they don't freeze if jammed on the side by a cooling line.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests