HDPE Induction Tanks
-
Highland Brewer
- Verified User

- Posts: 127
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:17 pm
- Name: Drew
- Location: North of Smokey
HDPE Induction Tanks
Just wondering if any brenosers have repurposed high density polyethylene (HDPE) induction tanks into conical fermentors?
- Keggermeister
- Verified User

- Posts: 1143
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:50 pm
Re: HDPE Induction Tanks
Tagged for interest.
-
jason.loxton
- Verified User

- Posts: 972
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
- Name: Jason Loxton
- Location: sydney ns
Re: HDPE Induction Tanks
At least a couple of Brewnosers have them. Dave from Everwood Ave does, as does Ottiscan.
See here:
http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... =41&t=6204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... al#p110297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See here:
http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... =41&t=6204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... al#p110297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
ottiscan
- Verified User

- Posts: 138
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:24 am
- Name: Lew
- Location: Cole Hbr.
Re: HDPE Induction Tanks
I've been using a 15 gallon induction tank for a few years now. It's placed in a full sized all-fridge with a SCT temp controller. Works perfect. I, and my brewing partner, brew 10 gallon batches in the 15 gallon tank. We just bought a 25 gallon kettle (thanks Dave, it's awesome) and brew 10 gallon no-sparge batches, the latest being a DIPA which the pot handled easily.
I used to dump the trub once heavy ferment ended but don't usually dump the trub now.
I top crop yeast from the top, particularly when I start a ferment with live packages. It makes great beer, I've had no problems whatsoever. I'm waiting for Dave to put a bottling port with a rotating arm in his, he doesn't seem to want to use his conical as the guinea pig though.
I only wash the tank with soft brushes/clothes to avoid abrasing the tank walls. It works great, if it were lost or stolen I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
If you are looking into buying one I would advise that you find one with the threads molded into the top of the conical, there are some with a plastic ring with the thread on it that is screwed to the top. You can't easily get an airtight seal with those. I use a rubber washer under the lid and can get an airtight seal for feremnt. Obiously you aren't going to carbonate in it but it can be oxygen free for ferment.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Here's a picture of it. http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... =41&t=6204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lew
I used to dump the trub once heavy ferment ended but don't usually dump the trub now.
I top crop yeast from the top, particularly when I start a ferment with live packages. It makes great beer, I've had no problems whatsoever. I'm waiting for Dave to put a bottling port with a rotating arm in his, he doesn't seem to want to use his conical as the guinea pig though.
I only wash the tank with soft brushes/clothes to avoid abrasing the tank walls. It works great, if it were lost or stolen I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
If you are looking into buying one I would advise that you find one with the threads molded into the top of the conical, there are some with a plastic ring with the thread on it that is screwed to the top. You can't easily get an airtight seal with those. I use a rubber washer under the lid and can get an airtight seal for feremnt. Obiously you aren't going to carbonate in it but it can be oxygen free for ferment.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Here's a picture of it. http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... =41&t=6204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lew
-
Highland Brewer
- Verified User

- Posts: 127
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:17 pm
- Name: Drew
- Location: North of Smokey
Re: HDPE Induction Tanks
Awesome info. Mucho Gracias. Look forward to getting my pair delivered.
- GAM
- Verified User

- Posts: 5429
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
- Name: Sandy MacNeil
- Location: North End HFX
Re: HDPE Induction Tanks
What did the assembled tank cost?
S
S
-
ottiscan
- Verified User

- Posts: 138
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:24 am
- Name: Lew
- Location: Cole Hbr.
Re: HDPE Induction Tanks
Hi Sandy,
The tank cost from the supplier was only $112 or so. The freight from Fredricton brought it up to around $200.
I bought a pvc vavle and fittings from Northeast Equipment for ~20 bucks. So to answer question, less than $250 dollars.
Lew
The tank cost from the supplier was only $112 or so. The freight from Fredricton brought it up to around $200.
I bought a pvc vavle and fittings from Northeast Equipment for ~20 bucks. So to answer question, less than $250 dollars.
Lew
- GAM
- Verified User

- Posts: 5429
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
- Name: Sandy MacNeil
- Location: North End HFX
Re: HDPE Induction Tanks
Thanks.
S
S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 5 guests