Priming in Keg

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm
Name: Jeff
Location: Beaver Bank

Priming in Keg

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:40 pm

I've got a cider I really don't want to bottle and I have an extra keg I can use. I noticed a few older posted that say to use about 1/2 of the priming sugar... what's the rationale behind that? I can't seem to find a definitive answer other than the fact that you can correct your level of carbonation with co2 later if need be.

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Priming in Keg

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Halifax_Jeff wrote:I've got a cider I really don't want to bottle and I have an extra keg I can use. I noticed a few older posted that say to use about 1/2 of the priming sugar... what's the rationale behind that? I can't seem to find a definitive answer other than the fact that you can correct your level of carbonation with co2 later if need be.
I believe it has to do with the amount of head space per volume of beer in the container. I use Beersmith to get my quantity of dextrose, and for the keg, it is approximately half of the amount for bottles. Works fine for me.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm
Name: Jeff
Location: Beaver Bank

Re: Priming in Keg

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:54 pm

LeafMan66_67 wrote:
Halifax_Jeff wrote:I've got a cider I really don't want to bottle and I have an extra keg I can use. I noticed a few older posted that say to use about 1/2 of the priming sugar... what's the rationale behind that? I can't seem to find a definitive answer other than the fact that you can correct your level of carbonation with co2 later if need be.
I believe it has to do with the amount of head space per volume of beer in the container. I use Beersmith to get my quantity of dextrose, and for the keg, it is approximately half of the amount for bottles. Works fine for me.
Didn't even think of using Beersmith to figure it out. Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests