Camlocks NPT thread: Tapered vs. straight

A spot to talk general homebrew
jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Camlocks NPT thread: Tapered vs. straight

Post by jason.loxton » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:30 pm

I converted to camlocks some time ago and have always been a bit bothered that they don't fit snuggly into/onto valves and other fittings. I didn't realize that there is both a straight and tapered version of NPT. I've ordered both valves and camlocks from OBK, Everwood, and Brewhardware. Everything always only just says 'NPT' as far as I can tell, but many of the pieces (pumps, welded kettle fittings, etc. don't actually match other pieces. Is there an additional indication I should be looking for when ordering or is this just the way it is? I suppose it doesn't make much a difference, but the exposed threads on a partially tightened fitting bug me. And if they don't completely seat, I suppose that creates additional area for gunk to accumulate.

EastCoastHoppers
Vendor
Vendor
Name: Matt

Re: Camlocks NPT thread: Tapered vs. straight

Post by EastCoastHoppers » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:59 pm

All of your NPT should be tapered.

NPT = national pipe taper
NPS = national pipe straight

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:16 pm

This isn't my set up, but shows what I am talking about. OBK refers to all the fittings as NPT, but the camlocks do not screw all the way down with the ball valves or chugger (whereas the ball valves and chugger fit with each other).
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EastCoastHoppers
Vendor
Vendor
Name: Matt

Post by EastCoastHoppers » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Odd... Chuggers are listed to have NPT as well. Not sure why that would be unless the threading is shorter on the inside of the camlocks than it is on the ball valve it hits the end sooner. That would make it appear to be in further in the ball valve. I don't have one on hand to check and I can't find the length of the threads listed.

Edit; reworded for clarity

Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan Swinamer

Post by Swine » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:28 am

With NTP they shouldn't screw all the way in. Because they are tapered, you screw them in until very snug/tight. Must use the Teflon tape as well, without it they won't seal.
Different amounts of Teflon wrap will result in less or more thread showing. I wouldn't aim to have minimal thread showing though. I believe 4-6 wraps around (all of the thread) is a good amount. If you are putting a valve in and it doesn't get quite tight enough with the handle 'up' then remove, add a wrap or 2 and try again. If it gets too tight before the handle is 'up', remove, put less Teflon on.
Key to the above though, remove and install fresh Teflon tape with each attempt.

It's also possible with the picture you showed that they didn't 'tighten' everything all the way. It was a picture for the website, so simply hand threading things on it possible as they would have likely removed it all for stock item again.

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steffen Rosswog

Post by RossBee » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:34 pm

Might be a stupid question, but does it leak or is it just aesthetics?

My pumps look the same way. I boil water and circulate prior to use.
Why brew beer I can buy?

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”