Many thanx for the replies and recipes by the way. (I'll probably try 'em all ) Much appreciated.
Recipe suggestion
- Relic
- Registered User

- Posts: 58
- Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:41 am
Re: Recipe suggestion
Good points on the clarity as well, but we have drank some pretty murky stuff. He has drank homebrew from people who really didn't know what they were at....it always came down to flavor. I'm guessing proper practices weren't followed in all cases. Same for me.... I have yet to enjoy any of what few homebrews that were done around my area. We're probable talking stuff like using table sugar, bread yeast, and god know what else (we won't even mention sanitation). Basically homebrew has a bad rep here in my area.... so, in actual fact, if I do everything right, and follow the usual guidelines I should be able to exceed the usual expectation. I'm just gonna try and err on the side of caution.
Many thanx for the replies and recipes by the way. (I'll probably try 'em all ) Much appreciated.
Many thanx for the replies and recipes by the way. (I'll probably try 'em all ) Much appreciated.
Some people can tell ya the square root of a pickle jar, but can't seem to figure out how to open it...
- KMcK
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2365
- Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:54 pm
- Name: Kyle
- Location: Halifax, Nova Soctia
Re: Recipe suggestion
We do have a whole section on recipes. Try looking and posting there.
McKeggerator:
- no beer

- Relic
- Registered User

- Posts: 58
- Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:41 am
Re: Recipe suggestion
Oh, I have...but that's like throwing a haute cuisine cookbook in front of someone who only knows how to make Kraft Dinner!!!KMcK wrote:We do have a whole section on recipes. Try looking and posting there.
Rather than just take a stab in the dark, I came to the ye who knows better.
Some people can tell ya the square root of a pickle jar, but can't seem to figure out how to open it...
- Tony L
- Award Winner 10

- Posts: 1848
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
- Location: Heart's Delight, NL
Re: Recipe suggestion
Yup a lot of wisdom in those words.NASH wrote:Relic wrote: [. Schwarzbier, sweet black goodness from the gods. I've seen good schwarbier and porters turn more mass-swill drinkers than any light beers, it shocks them with smoothness and flavour they never knew existed in the beer world.
My point is your pal should head to the local brewpub for some samples, see if there's anything that turns his crank and go from there. You might be aiming sideways trying to brew a Coors clone so-to-speak, or you could be bang-on, or he may never like anything but. There's tons of variety at the NSLC and the private agency stores but with beer freshness can be everything, you'll have a real tough go trying to find beer as good as it is right at the brewery not to mention how tough it is to find really well-made and balanced craft beer in these parts, there's a LOT of shite on the shelves.
Take
It is hard for experienced all grain brewers to nail a BMC clone, so don't be expecting to brew a Coors right out of the gate and wow your friends with it.
Like you said in an earlier post... you just hope to brew something light that is better than the locals presently make. If they are doing K&K then that shouldn't be a problem with AG.
I have never tasted a Schwarzbier, but made an AG version a few months ago that to me is fantastic. Still waiting on the judges remarks from Calgary to see what they tasted, but I know what I taste, and I could drink it all day long. Perhaps is a little roasty for the style, but it sure is smooth and easy drinking.
Beers like that are really a gateway into real craft beer tasting.
Have you tried Quidi Vidi 1892? A nice malty mega/craft style brewed beer. And don't forget to pick up anything by Yellowbelly Brewery. It's all good in its own way.
- sleepyjamie
- Award Winner 5

- Posts: 2482
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:05 pm
- Name: jamie
- Location: Calgary
Re: Recipe suggestion
sounds like everyone here agrees that you should try out various commercial craft beers to determine which style you would enjoy making.
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: Recipe suggestion
CorneliusAlphonse wrote:
cool. sounds like it'd be fairly clean tasting... aim for 5%? i might use some late hopping to keep it lively
Bingo
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests