I am new to kegging (first batch on way) and managed to piece together some gear. I am going with a 5lb CO2 in the kegerator, but also have at my disposal a 5' tall green bottle of "beer gas" which I understand is CO2 and nitrogen. So i am wondering if ai can carbonate with the beer gas and use the 5lb in the kegerator for low pressure application. Has anyone done this? Does is affect the quality or should a I sell or trade it?
Beer Gas
-
johnnystash
- Registered User

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:48 pm
Beer Gas
A proud moment, a little tear in the eye...sniff...sniff...for it is my first posting!!
I am new to kegging (first batch on way) and managed to piece together some gear. I am going with a 5lb CO2 in the kegerator, but also have at my disposal a 5' tall green bottle of "beer gas" which I understand is CO2 and nitrogen. So i am wondering if ai can carbonate with the beer gas and use the 5lb in the kegerator for low pressure application. Has anyone done this? Does is affect the quality or should a I sell or trade it?
I am new to kegging (first batch on way) and managed to piece together some gear. I am going with a 5lb CO2 in the kegerator, but also have at my disposal a 5' tall green bottle of "beer gas" which I understand is CO2 and nitrogen. So i am wondering if ai can carbonate with the beer gas and use the 5lb in the kegerator for low pressure application. Has anyone done this? Does is affect the quality or should a I sell or trade it?
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Beer Gas
Hmmm, I think the idea is to use the beergas to push the beer through a stout faucet. So I'm not sure that you want to try and carb with it. Nash would be the person with the most experience on that. I'd say unless you are a nitro-beer addict, CO2 is simpler to deal with.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- Tony L
- Award Winner 10

- Posts: 1848
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
- Location: Heart's Delight, NL
Re: Beer Gas
I would keep it on the assumption one day you'll need it for a stout using a stout fawcet. That is if you have the room to keep it.
Of course you could always sell it for money to buy other equipment with.
Of course you could always sell it for money to buy other equipment with.
-
OntarioBeerkegs
- Vendor

- Posts: 187
- Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:19 pm
- Name: Patrick Walker
Re: Beer Gas
The nitrogen is just a propellant. It will make your beer go flat with time. It is meant for bars that go through the kegs in a day or same night. The user with low consumption would have to switch between beergas to serve and CO2 to keep carbonated.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests