I might take one can and hit it with some yeast to see what happens, there's 36 grams of sugar per can. But in the meantime, interested in opinions....
Sodium metabisulphite and yeast.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Sodium metabisulphite and yeast.
I am working on a wheat beer, and am thinking maybe a lime coconut version. I was looking at coconut water for flavour, but the one can I picked up said it contained sodium metabisulphite. Can anybody guess if there would be enough in 2 500ml cans to kill the yeast in a 5 gallon batch (which I don't want to do).
I might take one can and hit it with some yeast to see what happens, there's 36 grams of sugar per can. But in the meantime, interested in opinions....

I might take one can and hit it with some yeast to see what happens, there's 36 grams of sugar per can. But in the meantime, interested in opinions....
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Sodium metabisulphite and yeast.
Bleh, I'm throwing in some Fleichmanns now. This stuff is horribly sweet. 
Edit: I guess that wouldn't work, I assume they put enough in the can to kill yeast. It would need to be diluted....
Edit: I guess that wouldn't work, I assume they put enough in the can to kill yeast. It would need to be diluted....
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- GAM
- Verified User

- Posts: 5429
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
- Name: Sandy MacNeil
- Location: North End HFX
Re: Sodium metabisulphite and yeast.
You could just over pitch and hope for the best.
Sandy
Sandy
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Sodium metabisulphite and yeast.
The beer is already brewed. I was going to add the coconut water in the keg, and let the sugar prime the keg.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- Graham.C
- Verified User

- Posts: 1900
- Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:35 pm
- Name: Graham Clark
- Location: Ottawa ON
Re: Sodium metabisulphite and yeast.
Have you tried an organic store or health food store, they might have a coconut water without the preservatives.
-Graham
- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: Sodium metabisulphite and yeast.
or even real coconuts. but on second though, it would probably take a dozen of em to get a litre of coconut water, hahamgc wrote:Have you tried an organic store or health food store, they might have a coconut water without the preservatives.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Sodium metabisulphite and yeast.
I will look once I'm back in the city for some other sources. I thought about dry hopping with real coconut, but the water seemed too easy.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests