Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with hopbacks? I've never used a hopback at home and we also don't use one at Big Tide, so my experience with them is zilch. I am debating on whether to purchase one for my nano, but having never used one before, I am wondering if they are worth it? Is the flavour and aroma using a hopback much different than dry hopping? I can pick up a 9.2 gal hopback from Stout Tanks for $359 so it's not really a lot of money.......however if they aren't worth the cost I don't want to spend the money either. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Shane
Hopbacks
- canuck
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
- Name: Shane
- Location: Quispamsis, NB
- Contact:
- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: Hopbacks
My understanding is that you use them when you brew large amounts, and it takes a long time before all the wort gets a chance to cool. Wort runs through the hops just before the chiller, adding back aroma. So it would depend how long your wort takes to chill I guess?
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
- akr71
- Award Winner 4

- Posts: 2644
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:18 pm
- Name: Andy
- Location: Amherst, NS
Re: Hopbacks
I bet you could build one out of a pressure cooker for a lot cheaper than $360. It wouldn't be 9 gallons, but you would be able to get an idea if it is worth it to include in your setup. If the answer is yes, then fork out the $$ for the Stout Tanks hopback.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests