Temperature Controller
- Wildcard
- Registered User

- Posts: 81
- Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
- Name: Robb
- Location: Moncton
Temperature Controller
Hey all, looking for advice. I finally have all the gear, kegs, freezer, etc for my keezer build but I'm missing one item, a temp controller. Any suggestions? Also what's everyone running their machines at? I was planning 8° or so.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Temperature Controller
The aquarium controllers seem to work great.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- Araxi
- Verified User

- Posts: 286
- Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:43 pm
- Name: Bruce
- Location: Riverview
Re: Temperature Controller
I agree with X, I have 2 and one on the way. Have been using them for years without a problem Just search STC-1000 on Ebay.
- Tony L
- Award Winner 10

- Posts: 1848
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
- Location: Heart's Delight, NL
Re: Temperature Controller
Araxi wrote:I agree with X, I have 2 and one on the way. Have been using them for years without a problem Just search STC-1000 on Ebay.
I have one of those and it's great. I also have a Johnson ( but that's between friends )
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Temperature Controller
I have a Johnson digital as well.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- Wildcard
- Registered User

- Posts: 81
- Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
- Name: Robb
- Location: Moncton
Re: Temperature Controller
Any pros or cons to the Johnson? I'm just using it to cycle my freezer and chill the beer. Maybe lager it... but nothing for fermentation or warm temps.
I'm not overly concerned on cost as I came in way under budget with all the other gear. Granted I'm not looking to blow the rest on a controller haha
I'm not overly concerned on cost as I came in way under budget with all the other gear. Granted I'm not looking to blow the rest on a controller haha
- ethier.sc
- Verified User

- Posts: 134
- Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 am
- Name: Steve Ethier
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: Temperature Controller
I got the Johnson because I'm not a very patient person and couldn't wait for it to be shipped. Sometime in the distant future I'd like to make a lagering chamber and I think I'll go with the STC-1000.
I had mine set to 3 Celsius with the probe in water on top of my compressor hump. I learned that the temp might be a little low when a porter blew in the bottom of my keezer.
I had mine set to 3 Celsius with the probe in water on top of my compressor hump. I learned that the temp might be a little low when a porter blew in the bottom of my keezer.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Temperature Controller
Johnson is a better quality unit, but more expensive as well....
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- Wildcard
- Registered User

- Posts: 81
- Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
- Name: Robb
- Location: Moncton
Re: Temperature Controller
Where did you get yours from?mr x wrote:Johnson is a better quality unit, but more expensive as well....
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Temperature Controller
ebay
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- adams81
- Verified User

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 pm
- Name: Geoff
- Location: Clayton Park, NS
Re: Temperature Controller
If you go the STC-1000 route make sure you get the 110v model.
- Wildcard
- Registered User

- Posts: 81
- Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
- Name: Robb
- Location: Moncton
Re: Temperature Controller
Yeah I noticed they have types that work for those in the UK and such and higher voltage allowances. I just have to make up mind now.adams81 wrote:If you go the STC-1000 route make sure you get the 110v model.
Thanks mr.x
- ethier.sc
- Verified User

- Posts: 134
- Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 am
- Name: Steve Ethier
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: Temperature Controller
Did you save much finding one on ebay? I think I payed 90 +tax for mine at Noble Grape.mr x wrote:ebay
- Araxi
- Verified User

- Posts: 286
- Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:43 pm
- Name: Bruce
- Location: Riverview
Re: Temperature Controller
You should be able to find them on ebay for no more than 20 bux, shipping included.
- Wildcard
- Registered User

- Posts: 81
- Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm
- Name: Robb
- Location: Moncton
Re: Temperature Controller
20 with shipping or you mean 20 then shipping? Cause it's 25 or so for most shipping.Araxi wrote:You should be able to find them on ebay for no more than 20 bux, shipping included.
I'm tempted to make one, I have a background with electronics. I looked around and the cheapest I can get is 64 locally at a HBS. I fins Noble Grape, on a lot of items, over priced. Sadly only local place to get a blichmann beer gun.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Temperature Controller
Yeah a bit, I think around 80 total, and that's the digital unit.ethier.sc wrote:Did you save much finding one on ebay? I think I payed 90 +tax for mine at Noble Grape.mr x wrote:ebay
Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- canuck
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
- Name: Shane
- Location: Quispamsis, NB
- Contact:
Re: Temperature Controller
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/110v-AC-All-purp ... a77&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;Wildcard wrote:20 with shipping or you mean 20 then shipping? Cause it's 25 or so for most shipping.Araxi wrote:You should be able to find them on ebay for no more than 20 bux, shipping included.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests