Polkaris hops and oddities
-
Anathema
- Registered User

- Posts: 51
- Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:41 pm
- Name: Jerimah
Polkaris hops and oddities
So recently we produced and keg'd a IIPA. Pretty standard fare and not too daring. But of course we had an issue....Now Im not a hop head like some, I like my bitterness but dont like my enamels to take a pounding. My brew partner on the other hand, this twat would distill pure hops if he could. So of course the IIPA turns out less hoppy then he was looking for and he decided to dry hop in keg. Now just before this we purchased some Polaris and let me tell ya this is some dank bitter oily stuff, minty and stunning. So this nob grabs a hop bag purges the head space and drops 2 oz of polaris pellet(in a bag of course) into the keg. Reseal, purge and re-pressurize. Heres where it gets funny.
A few days later he calls bitchin and complaining that the hops didnt achieve what he wanted and was about to throw out a 9 percent IIPA. Now after calming him down (doesnt like issues much he dont) I asked him to describe best what happened. Two words. Fucking pineapples. The hops had made the IIPA into a pineapple scented beer.
So what have we learned, IIPA plus a healthy dose of dry polaris equals pineapples in a glass. Now, after a few more days this thing cant get enough of it, loves it (save the hangover he gave himself by liberally indulging). Definitely weird and most definitely a keeper.
A few days later he calls bitchin and complaining that the hops didnt achieve what he wanted and was about to throw out a 9 percent IIPA. Now after calming him down (doesnt like issues much he dont) I asked him to describe best what happened. Two words. Fucking pineapples. The hops had made the IIPA into a pineapple scented beer.
So what have we learned, IIPA plus a healthy dose of dry polaris equals pineapples in a glass. Now, after a few more days this thing cant get enough of it, loves it (save the hangover he gave himself by liberally indulging). Definitely weird and most definitely a keeper.
- jtmwhyte
- Verified User

- Posts: 1934
- Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
- Name: Trevor Whyte
Re: Polkaris hops and oddities
I did a single hop Polaris pale ale and it tasted like fruit juice for the longest time. Once it melloewd out (read: 3 months later) it is a really good pale.
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Polkaris hops and oddities
hmmmmm, might have to get ahold of some of these.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- jtmwhyte
- Verified User

- Posts: 1934
- Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
- Name: Trevor Whyte
Re: Polkaris hops and oddities
X, I have a spare ounce here in Westville if you want to give them a try. 21.6 % aa
Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2
Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Polkaris hops and oddities
I am thinking about a gumballhead type of wheat beer this week, so I may just take you up on that. I can trade you for something, or some other hops.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- jtmwhyte
- Verified User

- Posts: 1934
- Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
- Name: Trevor Whyte
Re: Polkaris hops and oddities
I'm about 3/4 of a pound of Cara-Pils/CaraFoam short on my blonde ale for next week if you've got any (I'd rather not put in an OBK order for that much). Otherwise just pay it forward.mr x wrote:I am thinking about a gumballhead type of wheat beer this week, so I may just take you up on that. I can trade you for something, or some other hops.
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Polkaris hops and oddities
Looks like this shall work out well for both of us, I'll be back Monday. 
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
-
Anathema
- Registered User

- Posts: 51
- Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:41 pm
- Name: Jerimah
Re: Polkaris hops and oddities
Btw laughed some bloody hard bout the fruit juice. Also I may have drank 2 or 3 of em......about an hour ago. Yes, it needs mellowing but gawdamn its tasty. Try this stuff X its the shiz. Also where would yall recommend for some Citra hops?
-
gm-
- Verified User

- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
- Name: Jon S
- Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Re: Polkaris hops and oddities
I might need to get me some of those, would be perfect for my pineapple pale ale
Dave's Everwood ave brew shop has lbs of citra for good price, check him out http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/category/hops-lb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;Anathema wrote:Btw laughed some bloody hard bout the fruit juice. Also I may have drank 2 or 3 of em......about an hour ago. Yes, it needs mellowing but gawdamn its tasty. Try this stuff X its the shiz. Also where would yall recommend for some Citra hops?
Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests