Pitching top cropping yeast

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Pitching top cropping yeast

Post by amartin » Fri May 16, 2014 11:12 am

Hey all,

I'm planning on brewing two beers this long weekend, tomorrow and Monday. Tomorrow's going to be a best bitter, with Wyeast 1469, and Monday is going to be an English strong beer with the same yeast, probably an old ale. I've been top cropping yeast for years, but usually when I collect it I put it in the fridge, and then when I'm ready to brew again (in a few weeks, or more), I'll make a starter. However, I'm thinking I may just top crop some from the bitter and put it directly in the strong beer. Can anyone think of any reason why this may not work?

User avatar
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 4014
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Sprybeeria

Re: Pitching top cropping yeast

Post by LiverDance » Fri May 16, 2014 11:17 am

Nope :banana:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Pitching top cropping yeast

Post by mr x » Fri May 16, 2014 11:38 am

Sounds good to me.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: Pitching top cropping yeast

Post by bluenose » Fri May 16, 2014 12:31 pm

how do you feel about documenting the procedure for posterity?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Pitching top cropping yeast

Post by amartin » Fri May 16, 2014 1:54 pm

I can take some pictures and keep notes.

User avatar
adams81
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 pm
Name: Geoff
Location: Clayton Park, NS

Re: Pitching top cropping yeast

Post by adams81 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Please do! I'm trying to develop a process to maintain house strains and need all of the (tried and true) help I can find.

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Pitching top cropping yeast

Post by amartin » Mon May 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Ok, so, I didn't take a lot of pictures, actually just one. I smacked the wyeast pack on Friday evening and made a half gallon starter with it after it swelled. On Saturday I brewed 11.5 gallons of bitter and pitched the starter into it in mid afternoon. It had little activity when I went to bed, but when I got up it had a krausen on it. It was thin, mostly foam, so I couldn't have top cropped any off of it anyway. Today I made 6 gallon batch of old ale, and aerated it pretty well. Lately I haven't been bothering with this step, but it's a bigger beer, so I figured I'd better. The below picture is one of the buckets of bitter. I took half of each krausen and stirred it into the old ale. The bitter was sitting around 65, and the old ale at 70, so it's cooling off a bit in the crawl space. I'll update later.
photo(1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Pitching top cropping yeast

Post by amartin » Mon May 19, 2014 9:37 pm

6 hours later, and it's fermenting well. Success!

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Pitching top cropping yeast

Post by mr x » Mon May 19, 2014 10:05 pm

Excellent!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Pitching top cropping yeast

Post by amartin » Wed May 21, 2014 6:27 pm

Update: it's fermenting so well that it's overflowing out of the bucket.

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Pitching top cropping yeast

Post by amartin » Thu May 22, 2014 9:57 pm

It's still overflowing! I've never seen an English yeast this aggressive before.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Pitching top cropping yeast

Post by mr x » Fri May 23, 2014 5:53 am

Nice. May try this too with the new conical.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests