More Dry Yeast Options

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

More Dry Yeast Options

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:08 pm

Just found a big list at Canadian Home Brew Supplies: http://www.homebrewsupplies.ca/category ... -beer-1/1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Including Mangrove Jack range from New Zealand. Has anyone tried any of those?

They recommend a simpler rehydration procedure with no temperature steps. Otherwise no re-hydration required.
Although Mangrove Jack’s Craft Series
Yeasts do not require pre-hydration,
cleaner and more professional results
may be produced if rehydrated
before use.
For all strains except the Bohemian
Lager Yeast, add the sachet contents
to 100ml of water previously adjusted
to a temperature between 86–95°F
(30–35°C). For Bohemian Lager Yeast,
rehydrate using 3.4 fl.oz (100 ml) of
68–77°F (20–25°C) water. Stir gently
into a yeast cream for between 8 and 12
minutes then add yeast cream directly
to wort. Alternatively the dry yeast
can be added directly into the wort by
sprinkling onto the surface and
leaving to stand for 10-15 minutes
before stirring.
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/pdfs/mangrove.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: More Dry Yeast Options

Post by gm- » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:40 pm

I tried their Belgian ale yeast, wasn't impressed. Didn't have the flavour profile that I associate with belgian yeast, and it stalled on me and I had to finish the beer with fresh pitch of US-05.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: More Dry Yeast Options

Post by jtmwhyte » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:54 pm

I've used their M44 West Coast Ale Yeast and it was really nice.
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

User avatar
pet lion
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:42 pm
Name: Peter
Location: Halifax peninsula

Re: More Dry Yeast Options

Post by pet lion » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:45 pm

Mangrove Jack dry yeasts are available through Noble Grape. Only Burnside has them stocked but you can request they be sent to other store locations. I've only tried the M44 West Coast and M20 Bavarian wheat once each. They worked well enough.
https://www.facebook.com/tidehousebrewingcompany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
Name: Aaron
Location: Halifax

Re: More Dry Yeast Options

Post by mumblecrunch » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:58 pm

pet lion wrote:Mangrove Jack dry yeasts are available through Noble Grape. Only Burnside has them stocked but you can request they be sent to other store locations. I've only tried the M44 West Coast and M20 Bavarian wheat once each. They worked well enough.
Aha. I recently saw a reference on-line to NG carrying them but had never seen them at Bayers Lake or Quinpool. Thanks!
jtmwhyte wrote:I've used their M44 West Coast Ale Yeast and it was really nice.
I've read various claims all the way from "it's a little like Pacman" to "it is dried Pacman". Have you used the real thing and could you comment on that?

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: More Dry Yeast Options

Post by jtmwhyte » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:34 pm

Having not ever brewed with Pacman that's tough to say. I had a beer brewed with it before but it was last summer. I got mine at NG in Burnside
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: More Dry Yeast Options

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:26 pm

jtmwhyte wrote:I've used their M44 West Coast Ale Yeast and it was really nice.
Trevor an more information about this please. How did you find lag time compared to 05, beer clarity, slow or fast, any fruity esters? What did you like about it?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: More Dry Yeast Options

Post by jtmwhyte » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:50 pm

The lag time was not any different from 05. It's a very fast fermenter and dropped very clear. I used one pack in a cream Ale and it was extremely neutral. I dropped my American Stout onto half of the cake from the cream Ale and it Fermented very clean and attenuated well. Liked the flavour in both beers very much. Fermented at around 18 degrees Celsius both times.
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: More Dry Yeast Options

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:56 pm

jtmwhyte wrote:The lag time was not any different from 05. It's a very fast fermenter and dropped very clear. I used one pack in a cream Ale and it was extremely neutral. I dropped my American Stout onto half of the cake from the cream Ale and it Fermented very clean and attenuated well. Liked the flavour in both beers very much. Fermented at around 18 degrees Celsius both times.
Thanks. I've been looking into it (and Pacman). Going to give it a try I think.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 4014
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Sprybeeria

Re: More Dry Yeast Options

Post by LiverDance » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:08 pm

I just kegged a beer with Mangrove Jack M07 British Ale and it attenuated as it said it would in Beersmith for my mash temp. I got about 70% AA from it, but I have to wait till it's carbed to give the a taste report on the beer.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: More Dry Yeast Options

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:13 pm

I'm trying some Mangrove Jack M44 West Coast Ale this weekend in a Citra and Simcoe APA.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests