Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

A spot to talk general homebrew
User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:21 pm

KMcK wrote:
RobD wrote:Liam: If you want to buy them, Belbin's Grocery in St John's sells 'em frozen. A friend brought a big bag of frozen berries over on a plane and they just double (or triple) bagged them and had no issues.
Liam: That's where I got mine last time. Where do you live?
hmm. i am living in st john's currently. i can definitely mule some over for you from there, whenever i come. i am still going to try to pick some, but it is good to have a possible fallback :cheers:
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:24 pm

Tony L wrote:Well they ripen here on the island much sooner.... like about in a weeks time. All that is providing there are any to pick.
Usually they start to be ripe around the middle of July to the end of July. The last years in memory had them dropped by
the beginning of August.
They do ripen much later in Labrador.
my buddy was from out west, port-aux-basques, not sure if that makes much difference. i dont think he really knew though, he had never picked them himself.
We had frost at the wrong time this year... when the berry flowers were out, and the dry weather we had didn't help much.
Not sure if there is going to be much of a crop this year. I was talking to my father and also to a guy up the southern shore
and both agree the berries will be scarce this year.

I go on holidays in another week and will be picking them if there are any to pick. I'll let you know if there are any around.
Liam, I guess because of where you will be working, you'll be talking to guys close to where the berries are, so you may be able to pick up some or be told where to pick them. Good luck.
thanks :cheers2: noone seems to know much about it, but i'll see what i can do. i finally got a car, so i can at least travel around and attempt to find them now :cheers2:
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Tony L » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:29 am

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:
i finally got a car, so i can at least travel around and attempt to find them now :cheers2:
Good luck then. You would have to have a golden horseshoe up your arse to find bakeapples on a bog close to the side of the road, and that's in
a good year.

I usually walk 40 minutes from the TCH before I pick any.... I'm almost into Long Hr. when I start to pick.. :lol:
But if you ramble along the bogs in the Long Hr. area, you just might pick up a handful...
Good luck... and I really mean that. :cheers2:

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Tony L wrote:I usually walk 40 minutes from the TCH before I pick any.... I'm almost into Long Hr. when I start to pick.. :lol: But if you ramble along the bogs in the Long Hr. area, you just might pick up a handful...
Good luck... and I really mean that. :cheers2:

thanks :cheers: maybe I can check for some inside the construction zone, noone else would go there hopefully :lol:
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
Graham.C
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:35 pm
Name: Graham Clark
Location: Ottawa ON

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Graham.C » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:11 pm

I would love to make a baked apple mead. X, could you post how much flavor comes through in your lambic, it might give me a good idea if it would be worth the investment for a mead.
-Graham

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Tony L » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:24 pm

CorneliusAlphonse wrote: thanks :cheers: maybe I can check for some inside the construction zone, noone else would go there hopefully :lol:
Got word today that they ( frigging government ) are starting to spray insecticide around Long Hr. today. Might not be a good idea
to pick any close to the road... if there are any to pick.... was talking to my dad tonight and he says they aren't ripe just yet anyway.

Might not be insecticide they are spraying but something more along the line of Agent Orange... i'm not sure just what they are spraying....

User avatar
homebrewcrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:41 pm
Name: Brandon
Location: Tantallon

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by homebrewcrew » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:18 am

Going over the middle of august to NFLD hoping to find some in a store for a decent price. That beer looks great x.
JUST BREW IT

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by mr x » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:31 am

I just need to get some cages, and I think I'm set to bottle.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
homebrewcrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:41 pm
Name: Brandon
Location: Tantallon

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by homebrewcrew » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:36 pm

Just got done picking in labrador two days ago. Some of the berries had begun to turn white/gray but for the most part the berries were perfect for picking. Being my first time picking bakeapples, I have a new respect anytime I have some to eat realizing what a pain it is to pick these. Ended up picking 3 gallons and buying 3 gallons, cant wait to make some bakeapple beer.
JUST BREW IT

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Tony L » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:00 am

homebrewcrew wrote:, I have a new respect anytime I have some to eat realizing what a pain it is to pick these. Ended up picking 3 gallons and buying 3 gallons, cant wait to make some bakeapple beer.
Try picking 6 gallons and then walking for an hour to get out of the woods :D
Hard as it is, the joy of getting 6 gallons outweighed the misery I put up with picking them.
Last year, my father and myself picked 48 weighed gallons ( 6 pounds to a gallon ) and this year I picked 3 berries.
My father is in Labrador now, so I suspect he will have picked some.

User avatar
homebrewcrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:41 pm
Name: Brandon
Location: Tantallon

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by homebrewcrew » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:58 am

Wow I fell bad for you. I am going to try to make it earlier in the year next time, I think the picking will be better. After picking 3 gallons over two days I was ready for some quality time on the couch.
JUST BREW IT

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by mr x » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:46 pm

This was an accident waiting to happen...

Sent from my Nexus S
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Joevilla
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:46 pm
Name: JoeV

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Joevilla » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Hello Guys,

I live in the great state of Texas. Am in search of the elusive Bakeapple/Cloudberry...could you assist me in procuring some frozen berries....I noticed you spoke of a local market that sold them frozen...hmmm...maybe you could post their phone/website/email..

Thanks a bunch!

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by mr x » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:00 pm

I had them brought back from newfondland by a friend. I'll be talking to him tomorrow about it.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Tony L » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:18 pm

Joevilla wrote:Hello Guys,

I live in the great state of Texas. Am in search of the elusive Bakeapple/Cloudberry...could you assist me in procuring some frozen berries....I noticed you spoke of a local market that sold them frozen...hmmm...maybe you could post their phone/website/email..

Thanks a bunch!

Good luck getting them into the States, but here http://www.belbins.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is the place you can buy them when they have them.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by mr x » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:20 pm

The Finns make purees (in 5gal buckets IIRC), but as far as shipping goes..... :? :? :lol:
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Tony L » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:50 pm

You could always get it here also http://www.darktickle.com/bakeapple/15- ... 103oz.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joevilla
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:46 pm
Name: JoeV

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Joevilla » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Mr. X, What do you mean by:

in 5gal buckets IIRC

Joevilla
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:46 pm
Name: JoeV

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Joevilla » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks Tony L...

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by mr x » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:10 pm

Joevilla wrote:Mr. X, What do you mean by:

in 5gal buckets IIRC
if i recall correctly

I had found a website that sold bakeapple stuff out of Finland, but the site was all in Finnish, so it was hard for me to deal with, lol....

Out of curiosity, how did you find our site, and what do you plan to do with the berries?
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by mr x » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:00 pm

Holy goaty sweet tart in a bottle, lol.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Tony L » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:20 pm

So you like?

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by mr x » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Yup. I believe to be my greatest sour beer so far.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:48 pm

cork and cage too. nice
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Tony L » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:00 pm

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:cork and cage too. nice

He's just showing off the great brew he made from Newfoundland berries ;)

It do look good , don't it!

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests