Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
-
mattvincent24
- Verified User

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
So, some time has past and I've tried just about everything I can think of but still this infection persists. I've done two more batches since and both have the same problem. Here's a break down of the extra efforts for those two batches:
Batch 1
- hot soaked glass carboys in oxyclean overnight and let sit until day before brew day. Then another hot oxyclean soak over night, rinse and starsan.
- soaked immersion chiller in oxyclean over night.
- made a yeast starter from my slants. Let sit at room temp for a week after it fermented out and no signs of contamination.
- ran boiling wort though ball valve and silicone tubing to sanitize throughout the boil.
- transferred cool wort into carboy, pitched yeast, attached airlock and didn't remove it for anything during fermentation.
So at this point even though there were no sign of contamination in the stater and I ran boiling wort though the ball valve, I could see nothing else but my yeast or the ball valve being the problem.
Batch 2
- new smack pack of yeast.
- totally dismantled the ball valve. Two over night hot soaks in oxyclean and one over night in starsan. And also boiling wort through it on brew day.
- kept the lid on the boil kettle thought the chilling process.
so here I am. 20 more gallons of infected beer and very discouraged. The thing I don't get is the cooled wort had minimal air contact and the only thing it touched after the kettle was the sanitized carboy. Unless I have some kind of starsan immune wild yeast clinging to my carboys I'm stumped. As unlikely as that may be I think my next step it to use some acidified bleach on my carboys before next the next brew. Please if anyone has any suggestions pass them along and I'll answer any questions regarding my process. And for the people who think that maybe there's really no infection , well I thought that too. So I took some of a pale ale that was showing the visual signs but still tasted good on kegging day and put a sample in a 500ml pressure cooked flask and let it sit for a month. it ended at 0.998 FG and tasted like cloves!
Batch 1
- hot soaked glass carboys in oxyclean overnight and let sit until day before brew day. Then another hot oxyclean soak over night, rinse and starsan.
- soaked immersion chiller in oxyclean over night.
- made a yeast starter from my slants. Let sit at room temp for a week after it fermented out and no signs of contamination.
- ran boiling wort though ball valve and silicone tubing to sanitize throughout the boil.
- transferred cool wort into carboy, pitched yeast, attached airlock and didn't remove it for anything during fermentation.
So at this point even though there were no sign of contamination in the stater and I ran boiling wort though the ball valve, I could see nothing else but my yeast or the ball valve being the problem.
Batch 2
- new smack pack of yeast.
- totally dismantled the ball valve. Two over night hot soaks in oxyclean and one over night in starsan. And also boiling wort through it on brew day.
- kept the lid on the boil kettle thought the chilling process.
so here I am. 20 more gallons of infected beer and very discouraged. The thing I don't get is the cooled wort had minimal air contact and the only thing it touched after the kettle was the sanitized carboy. Unless I have some kind of starsan immune wild yeast clinging to my carboys I'm stumped. As unlikely as that may be I think my next step it to use some acidified bleach on my carboys before next the next brew. Please if anyone has any suggestions pass them along and I'll answer any questions regarding my process. And for the people who think that maybe there's really no infection , well I thought that too. So I took some of a pale ale that was showing the visual signs but still tasted good on kegging day and put a sample in a 500ml pressure cooked flask and let it sit for a month. it ended at 0.998 FG and tasted like cloves!
-
mattvincent24
- Verified User

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
One more thing. On last two batches the visual signs of the contamination showed up as soon as the krausen fell where as previously it took weeks in the secondary for the film to form. All that attention to cleanliness and sanitization and the problem seems to be getting worse!
Last edited by mattvincent24 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
Hmm I'm really not sure, maybe try using some harsher chemicals to clean stuff? Hot caustic comes to mind. Are you using any physical activity during cleaning ie a brush or one of those drill powered carboy cleaners? Just in case there is stuff that you cant see sticking to the glass.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
-
mattvincent24
- Verified User

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
Harsher chemicals is where i'm headed, but im not very confident that it will work. And yes, i use a casrboy brush to get most of the thick stuff off the surface of the glass before i soak in oxyclean.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
I would guess wild yeast if you are seeing signs when the krausen falls, but it's hard to say from here.
I might be able to help with some better chemicals as well.
I might be able to help with some better chemicals as well.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
-
mattvincent24
- Verified User

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
What do you suggest for chemicals? From what i read over the last few months acidified bleach seems to be the best bet, but it seems like it needs to be handled with caution.
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
What kind of chiller do you have? I would take a strong look at that and maybe try the no chill method just to see if it makes a difference? Also where do you store the carboys when fermenting, maybe try a different spot in your house.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
I have specialized chemicals that can be utilized. Also, are you giving airlocks and bungs a thorough sanitizing?
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- Jayme
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 2733
- Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
- Name: Jayme
- Location: Halifax
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
I can't see the starsan being inadequate. Even if you do have some crap still in your carboy, it will penetrate that.
Did you stop crushing grain in the fermenting room? Replace siphon hose?
Did you stop crushing grain in the fermenting room? Replace siphon hose?
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
I'd like to see some pics of the brewday setup.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
-
mattvincent24
- Verified User

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
No more grain crushing in my fermenting room, plus i bleached every surface of that room before I resumed brewing. I have all new plastics (auto siphon, tubing ect.) but I didn’t get to use it yet. Remember, i drained from my boil kettle strait in to my primary and haven’t removed the air lock since. The cooled wort only touched my boil kettle (obviously), Ball valve, silicone tubing, and my fermenter.
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
and your chiller.mattvincent24 wrote:. The cooled wort only touched my boil kettle (obviously), Ball valve, silicone tubing, and my fermenter.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
-
mattvincent24
- Verified User

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
yes and the chiller, which by the way was hot soaked in oxyclean, sprayed with starsan and boiled for 20 min in the kettle. And ill work on some pics over lunch, but i dont think i have a pick of me draining the kettle into the fermenter.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
I always run boiling water or fluid through the entire transfer path in place. In other words, those pieces are not moved after being sterilized.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
-
mattvincent24
- Verified User

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
That's exactly what i did.
- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
Yup, I can't see any way for it to get infected before it gets into the carboy, personally. So unless there is wild yeast in the air when you are transferring to the carboy (which would remain in the headspace and could be causing this) the only thing I can think of is the cleanliness of the carboy itself (and it sounds like you are cleaning it pretty well)mattvincent24 wrote:That's exactly what i did.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
- akr71
- Award Winner 4

- Posts: 2644
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:18 pm
- Name: Andy
- Location: Amherst, NS
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
Your saved yeast could be the vector for this one, but fresh yeast in batch 2 would suggest otherwise.mattvincent24 wrote: Batch 1
- hot soaked glass carboys in oxyclean overnight and let sit until day before brew day. Then another hot oxyclean soak over night, rinse and starsan.
- soaked immersion chiller in oxyclean over night.
- made a yeast starter from my slants. Let sit at room temp for a week after it fermented out and no signs of contamination.
- ran boiling wort though ball valve and silicone tubing to sanitize throughout the boil.
- transferred cool wort into carboy, pitched yeast, attached airlock and didn't remove it for anything during fermentation.
Last summer I had a couple batches in a row with an infection (plasticy/vinyl taste). I threw out my racking cane, tubing and airlocks, boiled my silicone tubing and bungs and soaked my carboys in bleach overnight (and then rinsed at least 3 times). I was getting the infections after my regular starsan routine, so I figured it wasn't up to the task. That's what finally fixed my problem.mattvincent24 wrote: Batch 2
- new smack pack of yeast.
- totally dismantled the ball valve. Two over night hot soaks in oxyclean and one over night in starsan. And also boiling wort through it on brew day.
- kept the lid on the boil kettle thought the chilling process.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
Is your starsan good and clear? Or maybe mixed at a weak strength (which may make it cloudy, not sure).
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
-
mattvincent24
- Verified User

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
i try to mix my starsan a little too concentrated for added insurance, but i could measure more precisely, good point, but it is clear.
Anyways heres some pics. this the film on top of the beer, 2 week primary. as days go by it doesn't seem to be getting worse visually. And its broken apart from moving the carboy, is was all one piece originally.
Anyways heres some pics. this the film on top of the beer, 2 week primary. as days go by it doesn't seem to be getting worse visually. And its broken apart from moving the carboy, is was all one piece originally.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mattvincent24 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
That film isn't necessarily infection, I see lots of odd stuff on my beers.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- Ladd
- Verified User

- Posts: 245
- Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:54 pm
- Name: Matt
- Location: Charlottetown, PEI
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
whats your recipe? This looks like it could be lipids on the surface. I did a couple of chocolate stouts with cocoa and molasses and had a lipid layer on the top that looked just like this (is it stringy at all? It's not lipid if it is). I was convinced it was an infection but after reading a lot of other people having the same problem with similar recipes I realized it was a lipid layer. I have only ever seen it with that recipe, but it was there each of the three times I brewed it (total head killer too...).
"If you want to make wine all you have to do is tread a few grapes. Try treading some barley and all you'll get is sore feet" - Dr. Charles Bamforth
-
mattvincent24
- Verified User

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
Air locks and bungs were hot saoked overnight in oxyclean and then stored under starsan for weeks before brewday. I store everything that can fit in my 5 liter glass jugs under starsan. Tubeing, hydrometer, ect.mr x wrote:I have specialized chemicals that can be utilized. Also, are you giving airlocks and bungs a thorough sanitizing?
-
mattvincent24
- Verified User

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
Wow, Thanks for all the replies guys! I can't even keep up. I’ve had the same film in 2 stouts, a rye PA , APA, DIPA, wit, Scottish and 2 brown ales. I had that sample that super attenuated, plus different phenolic flavours. I really think its an infection. I will however take another sample of the most recent beer (kegging tonight) and put it in a small flask at room temp and see what happens to it.
-
mattvincent24
- Verified User

- Posts: 135
- Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
Great to hear a sucess story. I will follow this advice for the next brew.akr71 wrote:Last summer I had a couple batches in a row with an infection (plasticy/vinyl taste). I threw out my racking cane, tubing and airlocks, boiled my silicone tubing and bungs and soaked my carboys in bleach overnight (and then rinsed at least 3 times). I was getting the infections after my regular starsan routine, so I figured it wasn't up to the task. That's what finally fixed my problem.
-
crabby hermit
- Verified User

- Posts: 23
- Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm
- Name: Richard Worth
- Location: Cape Breton
Re: Repeated Infections *UPDATE*
I was having infection problems as well. I only brew kits,but was finding my beer only stayed good in the keg for a few weeks then started to go down hill rapidly after a lot of trial and error I think I narrowed it down to my water, I have a drilled well and may have Something in it that doesn't agree with brewing. I started buying bottled water and have had really good results since. not sure if this may apply to you, just my two cents.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests