Any beer that isn't a lager. Beer is our heritage. I heard a car dealership ad. on the radio the other day, and their slogan was "your heritage dealership".XmonikerX wrote:
What the heck is a Heritage Ale anyways?
Beer Names
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- mikeorr
- Award Winner 3

- Posts: 582
- Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
- Name: Michael Orr
- Location: Middle Sackville
Re: Beer Names
I've started making a list of names from songs of my favourite band, LCD Soundsystem. Some are decent...
* Losing My Temp (Losing My Edge) - used if I have a bad day with mash temp or fermentation temp
* 45:33 (45:33) - find a recipe that has a 45min 33sec boil or mash?
* All My Hops (All My Friends)
* Hop It Up (Give It Up)
* Too Much Hops (Too Much Love)
* East Coast Scum (North American Scum)
* Citra I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down (New York I Love You...)
And my favourite:
* Greg Nash Is Brewing At My House (Daft Punk Is Playing At My House) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj8JrQ9w5jY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
* Losing My Temp (Losing My Edge) - used if I have a bad day with mash temp or fermentation temp
* 45:33 (45:33) - find a recipe that has a 45min 33sec boil or mash?
* All My Hops (All My Friends)
* Hop It Up (Give It Up)
* Too Much Hops (Too Much Love)
* East Coast Scum (North American Scum)
* Citra I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down (New York I Love You...)
And my favourite:
* Greg Nash Is Brewing At My House (Daft Punk Is Playing At My House) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj8JrQ9w5jY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
redoubt
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 869
- Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:30 pm
- Name: Kirsten & Keely
- Location: Cambridge
Re: Beer Names
Now you just need Greg to say "I'll show you the ropes" and y'all can fire up a music video...mikeorr wrote:
And my favourite:
* Greg Nash Is Brewing At My House (Daft Punk Is Playing At My House) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj8JrQ9w5jY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Keely.
- dean2k
- Verified User

- Posts: 1172
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm
- Name: deano
- Location: Sackville, NB
-
gm-
- Verified User

- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
- Name: Jon S
- Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Re: Beer Names
My beer names come from various sources, old advertising (Monkey Brand Hawaiian Ale), biology (Saccarina Pale Ale), warships (Bismarck Kölsch), bad puns (Funk light, Rifles of the.. IRA), Norse Mythology (Heiðrún Saison http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hei%C3%B0r%C3%BAn).
Old advertising also provides good copyright free labels!

Old advertising also provides good copyright free labels!

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA
-
GasMD30
- Verified User

- Posts: 401
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
- Name: Josh
Re: Beer Names
Wow that ad is not racist at all...
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
-
maestro
- Registered User

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:54 pm
- Name: Nick
Re: Beer Names
See, I just thought about making a name for my "brewery" and then leave the type after it. For example, right now I have a Pale Ale I'm drinking, so one of my ideas was:
Mad Dad Breweries - Pale Ale;
Screaming House - Pale Ale;
Thirsty Father - Pale Ale;
et cetera
That way, I can make a "standardized" label for any bottles I do, or engrave into a tap handle.
Mad Dad Breweries - Pale Ale;
Screaming House - Pale Ale;
Thirsty Father - Pale Ale;
et cetera
That way, I can make a "standardized" label for any bottles I do, or engrave into a tap handle.
-
GasMD30
- Verified User

- Posts: 401
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
- Name: Josh
Re: Beer Names
I sense a trend here...maestro wrote: Mad Dad Breweries - Pale Ale;
Screaming House - Pale Ale;
Thirsty Father - Pale Ale;
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
Made a few new ones. An IPA/APA called "Three", a mild called "working man", a blonde called "Tangerine Blonde" and I'm working on an English IPA now called "Britannia"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GuingesRock on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:37 am, edited 6 times in total.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Beer Names
Cockpuncher IIPA is the best beer name ever. I saw HP and Nash were on the cockpuncher earlier this week 
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
-
HappyHopper
- Verified User

- Posts: 311
- Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:56 pm
- Name: Jonathan - Sober Island Brewing Company
- Location: Halifax
Re: Beer Names
did a double batch of kriek a long whole back, snapped the mash paddle.. "up the kriek without a mash paddle"!
In bottle:Up the Kriek without a mash paddle, (insert Witty name)pumpkin lambic
On Tap:
Fermenting/Conditioning:
Future Projects:Chimney Sweepers Wife dark peated Scottish Heavy, Ginger bread brown, Home for the holidays spiced rum Brown Ale, Black Eye RyePA, Black Ryno Swartzbeir
Beer Laid To Rest (brewed it, drank it, loved it)Malt-n-lava AIPA, Single hop Citra pale ale, Belgian Blond, deforestation Ale Spruce Rye IPA,
On Tap:
Fermenting/Conditioning:
Future Projects:Chimney Sweepers Wife dark peated Scottish Heavy, Ginger bread brown, Home for the holidays spiced rum Brown Ale, Black Eye RyePA, Black Ryno Swartzbeir
Beer Laid To Rest (brewed it, drank it, loved it)Malt-n-lava AIPA, Single hop Citra pale ale, Belgian Blond, deforestation Ale Spruce Rye IPA,
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
- Broob
- Verified User

- Posts: 625
- Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
- Name: Steve M
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: Beer Names
Echo Base Lager
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Beer Names
My DIPA I'm working on will be named "Hoppily Ever After" I may call it "Hoppily Ever After in Vermont" as i'm going to be using the heady topper yeast.
I also have my "Muddy River Nut Brown", "Poor Man's Coors", and "The Warden's Extra Special Bitter" to name a few.
I also have my "Muddy River Nut Brown", "Poor Man's Coors", and "The Warden's Extra Special Bitter" to name a few.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: Beer Names
Had my Halloween party last weekend which featured my Masters of the Brewniverse Series:
Man at Arms - Pumpkin Ale
Beast Man – Ordinary Bitter
Orko – Vienna Blond Ale
Teela - Amber Ale
Trap Jaw – Robust Porter
Evil Lyn – Black Rye Kolsch
He Man – American Farmhouse Ale
Skelator – Flanders Red Ale
Cringer – Session IPA
Battle Cat – Imperial IPA
Man at Arms - Pumpkin Ale
Beast Man – Ordinary Bitter
Orko – Vienna Blond Ale
Teela - Amber Ale
Trap Jaw – Robust Porter
Evil Lyn – Black Rye Kolsch
He Man – American Farmhouse Ale
Skelator – Flanders Red Ale
Cringer – Session IPA
Battle Cat – Imperial IPA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
Working on some new beers for the new year.
An IPA based on "Three" (APA) but with 4 hops instead of 3, and a little (tiny bit) of crystal 40. More bitter, more malty, more alcohol, more dry hops. Might name it "More."
Also “Pilsner Myquell” in the works.
An IPA based on "Three" (APA) but with 4 hops instead of 3, and a little (tiny bit) of crystal 40. More bitter, more malty, more alcohol, more dry hops. Might name it "More."
Also “Pilsner Myquell” in the works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Buccaneer
- Verified User

- Posts: 518
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
- Name: Mike Digdon
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Beer Names
My names have been all over the place. If I'm strictly following someone else's recipe, I've been calling it as such - Everwood IPA, BCS whatever, etc.
If I'm fiddling and I've got helpers, I've tended to make reference to those helpers. My daughter helped me with a blonde ale and she's blonde, so I called it "Blonde with blue eyes". My friend Don helped with an ESB, so using our initials I came up with the classic "Madam I'm Adam" palindrome.
And sometimes the name is based on the result. The oatmeal stout I just did produces no head whatsoever (probably some detergent residue in the bottles), so I called it "Decapitated Oatmeal Stout".
If I'm fiddling and I've got helpers, I've tended to make reference to those helpers. My daughter helped me with a blonde ale and she's blonde, so I called it "Blonde with blue eyes". My friend Don helped with an ESB, so using our initials I came up with the classic "Madam I'm Adam" palindrome.
And sometimes the name is based on the result. The oatmeal stout I just did produces no head whatsoever (probably some detergent residue in the bottles), so I called it "Decapitated Oatmeal Stout".
- pet lion
- Verified User

- Posts: 751
- Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:42 pm
- Name: Peter
- Location: Halifax peninsula
Re: Beer Names

Latest in my solo brewed IPAs named in reference to Rheostatics. An early incarnation of the band had a brass section called The Trans Canada Soul Patrol. This was made with the Yeast Bay's Funktown yeast.
https://www.facebook.com/tidehousebrewingcompany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
maestro
- Registered User

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:54 pm
- Name: Nick
Re: Beer Names
GasMD30 wrote:I sense a trend here...maestro wrote: Mad Dad Breweries - Pale Ale;
Screaming House - Pale Ale;
Thirsty Father - Pale Ale;
Perhaps....let's just say that any time I make an amber, I call it "Angry Wife Amber"....get's as red as my wifes face! She hates it so much!!!
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
Looking up Australian slang trying to find a name for my new beer, which has Australian Summer hops only.
Came across this: ETCH-A-SKETCH Trying to draw a smile on a woman's face by twiddling her nipples simultaneously.
I'll keep looking a bit longer.
Came across this: ETCH-A-SKETCH Trying to draw a smile on a woman's face by twiddling her nipples simultaneously.
I'll keep looking a bit longer.
Last edited by GuingesRock on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
gm-
- Verified User

- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
- Name: Jon S
- Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Re: Beer Names
GuingesRock wrote:Looking up Australian slang trying to find a name for my new beer, which has Australian Summer hops only.
Came across this: ETCH-A-SKETCH Trying to draw a smile on a woman's face by twiddling her nipples simultaneously.
I'll keep looking a bit longer.
How about "The Great Emu War"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War
Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
That's interesting. They're "crackers".
I guess it's going to be "G'day"
I guess it's going to be "G'day"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Beer Names
I think you'll need to work on that on
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
Keith wrote:I think you'll need to work on that on
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests