OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity, and Other Stuff)

A spot to talk general homebrew
User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity)

Post by GAM » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:14 pm

GuingesRock wrote:
GAM wrote:I think I have a Plato one I got from Greg's group buy.

Remind me and I'll give it to you.

Sandy
Only if you are not using it Sandy. I'd love to have it, but in trade for the keg you are getting.

Thanks.
Free to a user. 0-8 scale.

Are you at Stillwell Sat?

Sandy

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity)

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:17 pm

No, I have to go to a course up here on Saturday at the Old O. :(

:cheers2:
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity)

Post by GAM » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:21 pm

I have 2 meetings this weekend and will not make it down.

I'm off next Friday if that can work for you.

I can take the kegs too.

Sandy

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity)

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:27 pm

Are you going to the thing at Acadia next Friday. I think Derek is coming down next Friday to pick up the kegs. HE said he was picking them all up, including yours.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity)

Post by GAM » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:31 pm

I haven't got "buy in" from Margaret yet.

If he gets there first great.

Sandy

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity)

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:33 pm

GAM wrote:I haven't got "buy in" from Margaret yet.

If he gets there first great.

Sandy
Let me know if you are heading down. I was only going for kegs.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity)

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:53 pm

LeafMan66_67 wrote:
GAM wrote:I haven't got "buy in" from Margaret yet.

If he gets there first great.

Sandy
Let me know if you are heading down. I was only going for kegs.
I can also bring all the small kegs to Halifax on Sat Nov 1st and be at Stillwells with them at 12.00 noon. I'm coming to HFX that day.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity)

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:41 pm

If Sandy doesn't do down, ALex and I will be down next weekend.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity)

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:14 pm

GuingesRock wrote:That wheat beer, I sent it to two competitions that were going on at the same time. I got my score sheets back from Winnipeg already. Two judges scored it, one with a score of 25/50 and one with a score of 29, they didn't like it, too hop forward for style, not enough wheat. You can easily beat that.

That same beer got a silver at the other comp. I don't have the sheets back but they must have liked it better.

I said before, you make great beer and I think you' will do very well with your beer if you start sending it off. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you got the Big Spruce thing. It's brewer enthusiasm that's the key to good beer, and that's what Keith does best.

:cheers:

Guess what! the silver medal judges score sheets came back from Members of Barleyment, on the American Wheat, one gave 38 points and the other 36. The 38 point judge said (exact words) "Excellent beer! very refreshing. Would benefit from slightly higher hop aroma & flavour" :smackhead: :lol: :lol:

It's all good fun.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity)

Post by jacinthebox » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:17 pm

Congrats...

I'm so confused lol
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity)

Post by Keith » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:02 am

I'm more lost than a 2 year old putting on a coat
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity)

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:53 am

The thread has strayed a bit, but G-Rock's last comment notes that I enjoy set of judges said jus Wheat beer could use more hops while the other group noted he was too Hop Forward. Makes it tough to know what to send in as judging is subjective and based on interpretation.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity)

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:03 am

Judge your own beer, the best you can, and hope that someone, someday, will agree with you.

A camel is a horse designed by a committee.

Imagine the 2 year old putting on the coat with 10 different people telling him/her how it should be done. The smart 2 year old will listen to what everyone has to say and pick the advice that makes the most sense.

It's the most strayed thread I've seen. Changed the title.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity) - and other stuff

Post by jacinthebox » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14 am

Mark, sorry for sending this sideways...I was just mindscrewed by the judges (selfish reasons lol)...
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: OMFG! - (Oh My Final Gravity) - and other stuff

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:14 pm

I fully understand. Going sideways is great, just going is good too, whatever direction. It's just an OMFG thread any way.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests