Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

A spot to talk general homebrew
User avatar
Dirt Chicken
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 971
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:00 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Dirt Chicken » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:09 pm

What yeast and bugs did you use on this one Robert?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by mr x » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:31 pm

Most likely recycled Roselare.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Dirt Chicken
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 971
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:00 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Dirt Chicken » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:05 pm

mr x wrote:Most likely recycled Roselare.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
Oh yeah, where did you buy those high pressure corks? NG doesn't carry anything but synthetic ones

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by mr x » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:38 pm

I can't remember where I got them...maybe online, maybe through Nash...
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 4014
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Sprybeeria

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by LiverDance » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:34 pm

X, you still looking for hp bottles?
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Seanstoppable
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:29 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Seanstoppable » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:42 pm

mr x wrote:I can't remember where I got them...maybe online, maybe through Nash...
I recall giving you a small batch to test, and I think you might have picked up the remainder when I left the province.

I had picked them up online.

User avatar
Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:18 am
Name: Neil
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Juniper Hill » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:28 pm

mr x wrote:Most likely recycled Roselare.
X those corks are awesome looking. How did you get them inserted?

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by mr x » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:23 pm

Still looking for hp bottles.
I used all the ones you gave me Sean, but these are the same type.
I use the el-cheapo wing type corker.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:27 pm

ive got some cork n cage bottles you're welcome to if you'll use em. fin du monde 650/750's i believe, with a couple 375ml from random ones
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by mr x » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:31 pm

yup, I'll take them.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

chalmers
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5604
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
Contact:

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by chalmers » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:54 pm

I've got some too, been saving Em for you. Let us know close to bottling day.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by mr x » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:59 pm

I'll grab them asap. Got lots more to bottle. Doesn't look like much, lol. Image

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Seanstoppable
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:29 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Seanstoppable » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:26 pm

Juniper Hill wrote:
mr x wrote:Most likely recycled Roselare.
X those corks are awesome looking. How did you get them inserted?
I can't speak for X, but I have used a normal wine corker before. Need to do some work to figure out what point to stop so enough is left out of the bottle, but pretty easy to do.

I recently picked up this: http://store.brooklyn-homebrew.com/inde ... 170&shop=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for my regular and cork bottling needs. Not really designed for the belgian corks, but you can get the job done. Handy given I have smaller HPB along with the standard big ones.

User avatar
Dirt Chicken
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 971
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:00 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Dirt Chicken » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:04 pm

Seanstoppable wrote:
Juniper Hill wrote:
mr x wrote:Most likely recycled Roselare.
X those corks are awesome looking. How did you get them inserted?
I can't speak for X, but I have used a normal wine corker before. Need to do some work to figure out what point to stop so enough is left out of the bottle, but pretty easy to do.

I recently picked up this: http://store.brooklyn-homebrew.com/inde ... 170&shop=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for my regular and cork bottling needs. Not really designed for the belgian corks, but you can get the job done. Handy given I have smaller HPB along with the standard big ones.
Where do you get your corks for high pressure bottling, I have been searching with no avail

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Dirt Chicken wrote:Where do you get your corks for high pressure bottling, I have been searching with no avail

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
doing a search for "belgian corks" turned up lots of results...
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BELGIAN- ... P2146.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
Dirt Chicken
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 971
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:00 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Dirt Chicken » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:44 pm

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:
Dirt Chicken wrote:Where do you get your corks for high pressure bottling, I have been searching with no avail

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
doing a search for "belgian corks" turned up lots of results...
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BELGIAN- ... P2146.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anything in canada? Crazy that so many wine kit stores sell sparkling/champagne kits, but only offer the crappy plastic corks and cages

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:45 pm

Check our suppliers link, but l got mine from the US.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Dirt Chicken
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 971
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:00 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Dirt Chicken » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:49 pm

mr x wrote:Check our suppliers link, but l got mine from the US.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
The link that liam provided shows the dimensions of belgian style corks, very helpful!

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by mr x » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:09 pm

I believe I saw a sign in the window of The Newfoundland Store advertising whole bakeapples.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by Tony L » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:00 pm

mr x wrote:I believe I saw a sign in the window of The Newfoundland Store advertising whole bakeapples.
If they are whole now, then they are not ripe. Ripe berries would be jam right now, :lol:

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Bakeapples, cloudberries, whatever...

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:01 pm

Or frozen
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests