Beer Names
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
I don't get it, are you guys not seeing the d? I think I've discovered a test for colour blindness. 
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Beer Names
oh we see it, but it's darker than the other letters and looks like it's GuingeRock's Keg Conditioned Gay Day Blond Ale.

Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- Broob
- Verified User

- Posts: 625
- Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
- Name: Steve M
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: Beer Names
Not that there's anything wrong with that.Keith wrote:oh we see it, but it's darker than the other letters and looks like it's GuingeRock's Keg Conditioned Gay Day Blond Ale.![]()
![]()
![]()
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Beer Names
That's right.Broob wrote:Not that there's anything wrong with that.Keith wrote:oh we see it, but it's darker than the other letters and looks like it's GuingeRock's Keg Conditioned Gay Day Blond Ale.![]()
![]()
![]()
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
Hence forth It shall be known as that! It's going to be a hit.Keith wrote:oh we see it, but it's darker than the other letters and looks like it's GuingeRock's Keg Conditioned Gay Day Blond Ale.![]()
![]()
![]()
I'm just mashing it in.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Beer Names
GuingesRock wrote:I don't get it, are you guys not seeing the d?
I think you may see the "D" too much lol
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Beer Names
GuingesRock wrote:Hence forth It shall be known as that! It's going to be a hit.Keith wrote:oh we see it, but it's darker than the other letters and looks like it's GuingeRock's Keg Conditioned Gay Day Blond Ale.![]()
![]()
![]()
I'm just mashing it in.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
Researched two new styles (new to me) yesterday and designed a couple of beers to brew. Spent the best part of the day on the couch with books and a laptop.
I can't understand why the cali common style guidelines want the colour to be so dark, when the colour of the normal grain bill isn't. Why add dark grains just for colour? Oh well, never mind, go with the flow I suppose.
I had to put a little crystal in both of these
I can't understand why the cali common style guidelines want the colour to be so dark, when the colour of the normal grain bill isn't. Why add dark grains just for colour? Oh well, never mind, go with the flow I suppose.
I had to put a little crystal in both of these
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Beer Names
Hope your doing a big dipa for that barley wine and letting it sit in the keg for a year untouched.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
I'm going to bottle it and leave it in the basement. Some of it might last out the year, depends how drinkable it is 
Like a DIPA but has DME (28%) instead of dextrose, to augment the grain bill and get the OG up.
Like a DIPA but has DME (28%) instead of dextrose, to augment the grain bill and get the OG up.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
I know, but in Ray Daniels' book (Designing Great Beers), he analyzes recipes of barley wines that made it to the 2nd round of the NHC and 59% of them used some extract. There is a discussion in his Barleywine chapter.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
....but, I think you might be right. I'll have another look at it. Thanks.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Beer Names
Well 41% of then had it right. I don't think extract is your thing and have the skill set not to using it.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
I can do it! 39lbs of grain for 10 gal batch, OG 1.1. Full volume mash volume 19 gal (I have a 20 gal mash pot). I think the 59% were using extract because their systems wouldn't handle that size mash.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: Beer Names
I use extract in all my barelywines. Keith extract has nothing to do with your skills as a brewer, like all other ingredients it has it's place and is very useful.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Beer Names
Nothing wrong with using extract to bump up the OG. Not sure what's an acceptable percentage, but I'm thinking if I did a 1.1 beer, I'd likely do ~1.075 and top up with extract to get to 1.1.
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Beer Names
Brian, I've always noticed a odd flavor when using extract that I didn't get once I moved to all grain. Possibly cause I was using 100%?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Beer Names
That's right.Keith wrote:Brian, I've always noticed a odd flavor when using extract that I didn't get once I moved to all grain. Possibly cause I was using 100%?
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
Pic by British fashion photographer Tim Walker. He does some cool stuff: http://timwalkerphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
aidenwatson
- Registered User

- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:21 am
- Name: aiden watson
Re: Beer Names
I must say it's a great photo....
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Beer Names
Brewing tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests