Page 1 of 1

How long to Dry Hop and How Much??

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:31 am
by BigEasy
So I just finished a batch of an American IPA and it's fermenting right now. My question is after I get a couple of stable readings for gravity how long should I Dry hop? Also it's a 5 gallon batch and how many ounces should I use?

Thanks

Re: How long to Dry Hop and How Much??

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:08 pm
by Keith
Personally I dry hop 3-4oz per 5 gallons for 5 days.

Re: How long to Dry Hop and How Much??

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:28 pm
by amartin
I usually go five days as well. I usually use 1.5 - 2 oz per five gallons, but that's probably on the low end of what's normal these days. Hop variety will affect it too, some hops just have a stronger flavor and aroma than others.

Re: How long to Dry Hop and How Much??

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:30 pm
by Andre
I usually dry hop for 5-7 days. But have had success with as little as 3 days and up to 10 days. Most IPA recipe I make use about 3 oz.

Re: How long to Dry Hop and How Much??

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:13 pm
by jacinthebox
I dry hop for 3 - 4 days then cold crash/keg.
hop amounts ...as little as 1 or 2oz . Up to 9oz for dipa. Most of my apa's get 4 to 5 oz

Re: How long to Dry Hop and How Much??

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:35 pm
by Halifax_Jeff
I like 3-4 days and the amounts are a personal preference. If you keg you can always add more if its not enough for your taste. I just did an APA with 1.5oz and it was fine for me. Have also done up to 5oz in an IPA.

Re: How long to Dry Hop and How Much??

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:12 pm
by Jimmy
7 days and about 8 oz/5 gallon batch of IPA for me

Re: How long to Dry Hop and How Much??

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:02 pm
by MitchK
I've done 3-5 oz for 5-8 days on IPAs and it's always been about right. Might try a higher number next time to see if it REALLY pops but I think I would see more return for my effort working on PH and DO levels.

Re: How long to Dry Hop and How Much??

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:39 pm
by Juniper Hill
Jimmy wrote:7 days and about 8 oz/5 gallon batch of IPA for me
You don't mess around Jimmy...go big or go home! :cheers2:

Re: How long to Dry Hop and How Much??

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:42 pm
by Jimmy
Juniper Hill wrote:
Jimmy wrote:7 days and about 8 oz/5 gallon batch of IPA for me
You don't mess around Jimmy...go big or go home! :cheers2:

:lol:

I've played around with various dry hop levels and always found myself wanting more. There's nothing wrong with a lightly dry hopped IPA - it's just not what I like after drinking Nash beers for the past few years!

Re: How long to Dry Hop and How Much??

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:57 am
by jacinthebox
Nash is the reason i do 2 sometimes 3 hours of whirlpooling (@ different temps)...chasing that big hop flavor...lol...do it for apa ipa and dipa. Uses a pile of hops ...turns out some good product tho

Re: How long to Dry Hop and How Much??

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:29 am
by sleepyjamie
I do the whirlpool usually 3-5oz. I don't hold it, just let it chill. At home brew scale I've heard better results with a hoprocket.

For dry hop, I'm usually 4-8oz / 20L batches for 3-4 days in the primary. Sometimes double dry hop in secondary with same amount for another 3 days, or in the keg.