Page 1 of 1

Off onion/garlic flavour

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:26 pm
by SFR709
I brewed the recipe in the attached picture, with 60min mash and a 90min boil. But I got an onion/garlic flavour at the end, I'm not sure if it's from the bittering hops (citra) or maybe the quantity I used (12g)?

Has anyone had a similar result? I've heard some people talk about summit causing this effect and others linking it to how and where the hops are grown. I'm going to try to cold crash it and let it sit in my ferm chamber for awhile and see if I can age it out. Worst case scenario I've made my first throw away batch, it has to happen eventually. Any advice/input would be much appreciated!

Scott

Re: Off onion/garlic flavour

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:15 pm
by MitchK
I got that flavor from a 100% citra beer. Pretty sure it was from the dry hop rather than the boil. It did fade away over a few weeks in the keg.

Re: Off onion/garlic flavour

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:18 pm
by SFR709
Nice, here's hoping!

Re: Off onion/garlic flavour

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:26 pm
by amartin
Yeah, some newer hops are like that. I've never noticed it with Citra, but I haven't used it very often.