Page 1 of 1

Cl/-SO42- ratio?

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:34 am
by jacinthebox
What's everyone using for a Cl/-SO42 ratio for hoppy beers? I was thinking 1:3 would be a good start (160 Cl/300 SO42). Then add Baking soda to get the ph back up to 5.4.
Or am I over thinking this...and just use a balanced ratio (and adjust ph with acid)
FYI I'm using Brewers Friend mash chem calc.

I'm aiming for a very hoppy Session IPA...IBU around 35

Re: Cl/-SO42- ratio?

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:04 am
by amartin
What are you adding for Cl? CaCl? I always thought that was ph neutral. I may be under thinking this, but for my APAs and IPAs I just add gypsum to get my SO4 to around 200-250, and I don't add Cl. I only use that for beers where I want a little extra fullness, but maybe you want that where you're doing a session beer that you may not want tasting too thin or dry. As for ph, I don't generally worry too much about it. I'll add baking soda or chalk as a buffering agent only if I'm using some dark grains. Better ph control is one of those things I've been meaning to start sometime, but I haven't had any issues.

Re: Cl/-SO42- ratio?

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:10 am
by Celiacbrew
You make better beer than I do Justin so take what I say with a grain of salt. I don't worry about the ratio at all. I follow AJ Delang's advice and I add cacl to get to my min calcium and then a little sulphate if I want it sharper. I tend to have to add acid to bring the pH down the rest of the way though because of the Dartmouth water. I would be leery of adding all that sodium especially if I am using Irish moss as well. The sodium will have the opposite mouthfeel effect as the SO4.

Then again for a hoppy session ale I would probably be trying to emphasize body and mouthfeel so I like going with ~100ppm cl 100~ppm SO4 ~100Na and then lower carbonation from my usual amount.

Re: Cl/-SO42- ratio?

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:27 am
by jacinthebox
here is the calc...take a look http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemi ... id=XJRNLXB

here is a second approach http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemi ... id=XWWDQLC

Normally I add some Calcium chloride (5g per 5 gal batch), and adjust ph using Phosphoric acid. hoppy beers will normally get an additional 5g per 5gal batch of Gypsum.

I'm starting to think about the Cl/-SO42- ratio in my hoppy beers...as I normally shoot for 1:1 (balanced).

I also shoot for 5.3ph in light beers, and around 5.6ph for my bigger darker beers

Re: Cl/-SO42- ratio?

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:56 am
by jacinthebox
starting to think i'm over thinking this lol....may just use my standard approach (Gordon Strong's approach)

Re: Cl/-SO42- ratio?

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:09 pm
by Keith
Below are the water profiles I target if this helps you any.
IPA
Calcium: 84.20 ppm
Sulfate: 199.20 ppm
Magnesium: 13.30 ppm
Chloride: 47.60 ppm
Sodium: 13.10 ppm
Bicarbonate: 23.20 ppm

DIPA
Calcium: 110.00 ppm
Sulfate: 350.00 ppm
Magnesium: 18.00 ppm
Chloride: 50.00 ppm
Sodium: 17.00 ppm
Bicarbonate: 0.00 ppm

Re: Cl/-SO42- ratio?

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:21 pm
by jacinthebox
Keith wrote:Below are the water profiles I target if this helps you any.
IPA
Calcium: 84.20 ppm
Sulfate: 199.20 ppm
Magnesium: 13.30 ppm
Chloride: 47.60 ppm
Sodium: 13.10 ppm
Bicarbonate: 23.20 ppm

DIPA
Calcium: 110.00 ppm
Sulfate: 350.00 ppm
Magnesium: 18.00 ppm
Chloride: 50.00 ppm
Sodium: 17.00 ppm
Bicarbonate: 0.00 ppm
cool...thanks

Looks like your IPA is more like the second calc I posted

http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemi ... id=XWWDQLC