Page 1 of 1

WLP400 slow/no activity

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:04 am
by weisseguy
Hey everyone,

I made a starter around midnight for my pack of WLP400 and woke up this morning to no activity. My starter recipe was:

1 cup DME
1/8 tsp DAP
2L Water

Boiled & cooled to 25C and pitched. Split between 2 clean/sterile growlers with airlocks.

Now, I may have frozen this yeast by accident in a new (very fucking cold) mini fridge I friend gave me. I'm guessing my yeast is fucked but wanted to check with the wizards here before I start over. If I'm fucked, I may pop out and get a pack of Danstar Belle Saison. So my other question is if this is a good yeast to sub for WLP400? I'm making a Witbier.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!
Cheers,
Clint

Re: WLP400 slow/no activity

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:43 am
by KMcK
My experience with yeast starters is that because of the relatively small volume fermentation activity can be difficult to observe. Gravity readings and taste tests may be better indicators of success.

Re: WLP400 slow/no activity

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:43 am
by jacinthebox
let it ride for a day...then check the gravity

Re: WLP400 slow/no activity

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:02 am
by darciandjenn
I've made a couple of wits with Safale WB-06. I realise it's not a Belgian strain but if you are in a pinch and you want to pitch something dry, I liked it.

Also, as every one else has mentioned, patience! :)

Re: WLP400 slow/no activity

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:33 pm
by weisseguy
Thanks everyone. I'll give it a day...When I left at noon there was signs of some activity...if it fails to progress I'm gonna pitch Belle Saison along with the WLP400 mess. Cheers!

Re: WLP400 slow/no activity

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:41 pm
by Hobbitfu
I have packs of Fermentis K-97 that was going to use for a witbier. It's a German ale yeast that is supposed to be suitable for Belgian type wheat beers. Not sure you can find it local?

Re: WLP400 slow/no activity

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:35 pm
by Keggermeister
It's prolly already done.
That said. I just used Belle Saison and have hella bananas in a glass! :banana: :cheers2:

Re: WLP400 slow/no activity

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:36 pm
by weisseguy
I brewed it today and by this morning I had two growlers of VERY active yeast! They were just a bit chilly I guess...

I did buy Belle Saison as a backup but I'll be able to save it now.

I also exceeded target gravity on the wort for the first time ever which was a surprise!

I also shattered by floating thermometer moving it from the kettle to the mash tun meaning I had to start completely over reheating the mash water. What a fucking awful way to start a brew. I just stood there for like 4 minutes deciding whether or not to stab myself in the throat with the sharp end. Fuck. My. LIFE :chug: