Page 1 of 1
Cider with poor head retention, what do I need to add?
Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:14 am
by TimG
Last batch of cider I made, using just basic grocery store juice and some brown sugar resulted in a tasty dry cider but with SUPER bad head retention (like foamed like crazy out of the tap, but then foam died down quickly and was gone!).
What do I need to add to get some reasonable head retention?
Cheers
Re: Cider with poor head retention, what do I need to add?
Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:18 am
by amartin
Does cider normally have head retention? I always figured it was like sparkling wine or pop in that sense, where there's no proteins to support a head.
Re: Cider with poor head retention, what do I need to add?
Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:11 pm
by KB1138
I'd agree with Andrew, cider doesn't have a head
Re: Cider with poor head retention, what do I need to add?
Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:58 pm
by Celiacbrew
Protein.
Re: Cider with poor head retention, what do I need to add?
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:45 pm
by TimG
Maybe head retention isn't the word.. it seems like the carbonation almost 'escapes' the liquid as soon as it comes out of the tap. Tons of foam/bubbles and then nothing. I feel like some of the cider I've made in the past has at least a little head retention.
Re: Cider with poor head retention, what do I need to add?
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:42 pm
by sleepyjamie
TimG wrote:Maybe head retention isn't the word.. it seems like the carbonation almost 'escapes' the liquid as soon as it comes out of the tap. Tons of foam/bubbles and then nothing. I feel like some of the cider I've made in the past has at least a little head retention.
I had the same problem with store bought apple juice. This year using my own harvested apples the CO2 seemed to stay.
Re: Cider with poor head retention, what do I need to add?
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:34 pm
by XmonikerX
cider has carb, yes (most times)
a head, no.
none that i've ever had.
Re: Cider with poor head retention, what do I need to add?
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:08 am
by OldSalt
What is likely needed to help retain Carbonation is cold. While we know that flavour profiles are best around 5-6°C, CO2 will not remain in solDSution above 4°C. Not for long anyhow, and certainly not if it t is agitated.
The other usual suspect is that your storage and service pressure is too low. Cider is traditionally higher in CO2 Volumes, averanging from 2.6 - 3.2 Volumes CO2. You might need 15+ psi.
In short, Make sure keg internal temp is below 4°C/40° F. Set your pressure at 14-15 psi. I recommend 5 feet of 3/16" Id of the new PVC free, medical style tubing.