Page 1 of 2
clarifying your beer?
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:22 pm
by eaglesnestbrewing
Hey guys, I know this may be a really newbie question, but ive been doing some research online for clearing my beer. Heres the first thing, I am using a best case extract kit. It is the best coast ipa. I have read clarity ferm will take out the gluten as well as help clarify the beer, i have also read about irish moss (after I had the beer fermenting. Is there any way to have an extract kit become clear? Or is that more or less reserved for people brewing partial mash and all grain? I did add clarity ferm to the beer as per the instructions on the package.
Thank you in advance!!
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:44 pm
by jacinthebox
If you keg you can add gelatin to a cold keg. Works really well.
Irish moss/whirlfloc during the boil.
Clarity ferm with your yeast
Gelatin post fermentation
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:23 pm
by Albert
Yea easiest if you keg: this is the method i use...crystal clear beers:
http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/ho ... latin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just need a fridge or a real cold porch to crash cool the beer to make it real hazy.
You can also crash and add gelatin in the carboy.
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:51 pm
by eaglesnestbrewing
Well so far im just bottling, can the haze go away somewhat on its own? The first batch i did i left in primary for 2.5 weeks then bottled and left another 1.5 weeks before trying one, now after another week they are all still hazy. The ipa i have in primary now will be going in to secondary tomorrow or friday. It has been in primary 5 days now
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:53 am
by jacinthebox
U can also add gelatin to a cold carboy. Crash down to as close to 0c u can get. Add gelatin....wait a few days and then bottle. This will also help drop the hops so you're bottling clear beer
And I don't think haze will go away on its own.
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:59 am
by eaglesnestbrewing
Okay thank you everyone, I think ill try the gelatin this batch, hope it turns out fairly clear!!
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:45 pm
by BAbrewing
I use gelatin
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:09 am
by Buccaneer
I just use time. Almost every beer eventually goes clear for me. Some take a little longer than others, depending on the yeast.
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:43 am
by GuingesRock
How I get clear beer:
1) Use high quality European malt always and avoid the domestic stuff. There is very little difference in price. Some have the idea that "malt is malt" and anything will do ...Not true!
2) Store at 1C to speed up clearing
3) Use whirfloc in last 10 minutes of boil.
Beer.jpg
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:41 am
by Jimmy
I find most of my beers drop clear with cold storage & time. A week or two in the kegerator is usually enough.
I use North American malts
I don't use whirlfloc/irish moss
I don't use gelatin/clarifiers
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:49 am
by jacinthebox
I don't tend to use anything except whirlfloc ...unless the style calls for super clear sparkling beer. I like hop/yeast haze. I use Conan alot and it make hazy beer....couple that with lots of hops and I get a beautiful hazy hoppy beer
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:59 am
by GuingesRock
Brewing is great! so many possibilities. No one right way to do things.
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:21 pm
by GuingesRock
Jimmy wrote:I find most of my beers drop clear with cold storage & time. A week or two in the kegerator is usually enough.
I use North American malts
I don't use whirlfloc/irish moss
I don't use gelatin/clarifiers
You brew the same way that a certain local brewery does. That brewery brews cloudy hoppy beers and does very well. It's almost a trademark of theirs.
That's the other alternative. I'm partial to fresh, yeasty, real aleish, hoppy beer myself as well. Like Justin mentioned.
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:26 pm
by GuingesRock
Speaking of real ale. In the UK it has to be clear as if it's not, it will be sent back in disgust and is a sign of poor cellarmanship. They use isinglass in their casks and always have done.
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:34 pm
by GAM
Time is your friend. if you bottle the clearing "height" is much less than a keg.
S
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:36 pm
by jacinthebox
GuingesRock wrote:Speaking of real ale. In the UK it has to be clear as if it's not, it will be sent back in disgust and is a sign of poor cellarmanship. They use isinglass in their casks and always have done.
I know it's a "style" ...but that term...real ale...always makes me giggle...wtf is everyone else brewing? Fake ale? Seems like a jackass term.
I'm calling my beer "even real'r ale" from now on lol.
No offense to anyone that brews real ale...just one of those things that makes me laugh...most likely makes me an ass...I'm at peace with myself
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:38 pm
by GAM
Not hoping to hijack the thread but unfiltered (TM) I think is a more accurate term.
S
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:21 pm
by GuingesRock
jacinthebox wrote:GuingesRock wrote:Speaking of real ale. In the UK it has to be clear as if it's not, it will be sent back in disgust and is a sign of poor cellarmanship. They use isinglass in their casks and always have done.
I know it's a "style" ...but that term...real ale...always makes me giggle...wtf is everyone else brewing? Fake ale? Seems like a jackass term.
I'm calling my beer "even real'r ale" from now on lol.
No offense to anyone that brews real ale...just one of those things that makes me laugh...most likely makes me an ass...I'm at peace with myself

Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:02 pm
by lstewart89
Along with everything that's been mentioned, using a highly flocculant yeast strain can also help. The clearest beer I've ever brewed was with Wyeast 1968 London ESB.
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:28 pm
by NASH
KB1138 wrote:So uhh... gelatin right?
Biofine Clear, ftw :Cheers2:
Sent from the Hop-Phone
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:52 pm
by jacinthebox
That escalated quickly.
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:42 am
by sheppard107
Back to clarifying ...
I just use irish moss in the kettle, and my beer is pretty clear. Not crystal clear of course, but certainly not cloudy. The main exception was the APA with 30% rye malt; that fella was thick and murky.
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:10 pm
by Celiacbrew
https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/Resources%5 ... rHazes.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I found this resource pretty helpful in understanding beer hazes. If your beer doesn't clear with time this can help diagnose what might help with your haze.
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:56 pm
by MitchK
Biofine clear is vegan right?
I don't currently have any vegan/vegetarian friends drinking my beer, but I may in the future need to avoid gelatin if I do.
Re: clarifying your beer?
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:32 pm
by Lucas
If you are bottling and you want clear beer, just put the bottles in the fridge for a week or so before you drink them. Unless it is a known hazy yeast (e.g. hefeweizen yeast or Conan) then it will probably drop to the bottom of the bottle after a couple of days in the fridge. Pour carefully to avoid sediment.