Page 1 of 1

Help me clean my crudded up brew kettle element

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:15 pm
by TimG
So I've clearly been slacking on cleaning my element. I also think most of this crud came from a porter brew (more sugars??). Regardless, a heated oxi-clean soak only helped but didn't clean it completely (see chunks of deposits on the bottom and the remaining hard white stuff).

What do I try next? I've heard of TSP soak and scrub? I also have a big jug of phosphoric acid.. I could pull the element and soak it in that (diluted?).

What say you? (I'm looking at you Nash, X, etc)

Image

Re: Help me clean my crudded up brew kettle element

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:58 pm
by RossBee
I use Citric Acid on my stills. Generally 500 g per 150 litre batch. Complete run through. Cleans all the stainless and copper bits.

Re: Help me clean my crudded up brew kettle element

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:44 pm
by GAM
Hot PBW.

S

Re: Help me clean my crudded up brew kettle element

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:16 pm
by TimG
Is PBW really 'that' much better/different than oxiclean for this? If it is I'll get some.. just thought oxi and PBW were pretty similar. I get that frequent PBW soaks when 'clean to start with' might be sufficient, but maybe I'm too far gone and need something stronger?

Tim

Re: Help me clean my crudded up brew kettle element

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:27 pm
by GAM
It IMHO is more aggressive and at low % does a good job. Time (soak) and some elbow grease should work.

S

Re: Help me clean my crudded up brew kettle element

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:52 pm
by Timothy Doane
Mix it to proper concentration - PBW is magic!

Re: Help me clean my crudded up brew kettle element

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:03 am
by McGruff
I use barkeepers friend and a blue or white scrubbie.

Re: Help me clean my crudded up brew kettle element

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:45 pm
by TimG
So I've tried oven cleaner and barkeepers friend scrub.. this stuff is ON THERE! I clearly let it go too far and now have my work cut out for me. It sounds like if I had been more on top of it, simple PBW soak and/or barkeepers friend,etc would have worked fine.

I'm going to get some TSP today and make a oxiclean/TSP mix (PBW immitation) and try a hot soak of that overnight. I also applied another round of oven cleaner.

Re: Help me clean my crudded up brew kettle element

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:57 pm
by Keith
TimG wrote:So I've tried oven cleaner and barkeepers friend scrub.. this stuff is ON THERE! I clearly let it go too far and now have my work cut out for me. It sounds like if I had been more on top of it, simple PBW soak and/or barkeepers friend,etc would have worked fine.

I'm going to get some TSP today and make a oxiclean/TSP mix (PBW immitation) and try a hot soak of that overnight. I also applied another round of oven cleaner.
If you need some PBW I have lots. you just need to pop by. :cheers2:

Re: Help me clean my crudded up brew kettle element

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 pm
by Keith
and just seen you are in Ontario. :lol:

Re: Help me clean my crudded up brew kettle element

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:50 pm
by Jimmy
My element looked worse than that a couple months ago.

I did a 30 min boil with PBW and everything freed up enough that I could get it off. It took a little scraping with a sharp edge, but light enough pressure that it didn't scratch the element - maybe 2-3 minutes of scraping in total...it flaked off quite easy. It's now back to as good as new.

Acid will likely clean it with ease, but PBW was easy for me because I had it on hand.

Re: Help me clean my crudded up brew kettle element

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:25 pm
by TimG
Well I've done an overnight soak with hot (raised to 140F) PBW.. mixed strong'ish (say 8 oz in 4 gallons) and it did help, but lots still there after scrubbing. Scraping works as well, but way way more effort required than 2-3 minutes. I have it soaking it 10% vinegar now but that doesn't seem to be doing shit all.

I'm going to brew with the 'cleaner' version tomorrow and then maybe I'll try a 30 min boil with 'real' PBW (I did use fake 60% oxi / 40% TSP above).

Tim

Re: Help me clean my crudded up brew kettle element

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:32 pm
by Celiacbrew
http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-con ... WTech2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Five star recommends 6-8oz per gallon for carbon removal. Try putting in just enough water to barely cover your element and then add the pbw/oxyclean at that ratio.


Not sure how comfortable you are dealing with dangerous chemicals but you can buy lye (caustic soda) from a few different spots. That would likely remove whatever is built up on your element.

Re: Help me clean my crudded up brew kettle element

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:09 am
by sleepyjamie
Recirculation with a CIP might help as well.

Re: Help me clean my crudded up brew kettle element

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:59 am
by Jimmy
TimG wrote:Well I've done an overnight soak with hot (raised to 140F) PBW.. mixed strong'ish (say 8 oz in 4 gallons) and it did help, but lots still there after scrubbing. Scraping works as well, but way way more effort required than 2-3 minutes. I have it soaking it 10% vinegar now but that doesn't seem to be doing shit all.

I'm going to brew with the 'cleaner' version tomorrow and then maybe I'll try a 30 min boil with 'real' PBW (I did use fake 60% oxi / 40% TSP above).

Tim
Mine needed the boil. I tried a hot soak and it didn't help at all.