Page 1 of 1

Bourbon Porter.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:53 am
by maglorski
Doing a recipe that calls for Bourbon-soaked oak cubes.

When I'm doing anything that involves soaking another ingredient in hard stuff what's the recommendation on how what quality of booze I should buy?

Prices for Bourbon start at $10 at the LC going to god knows what...

What kind of price point should I look at in Bourbon for this recipe?

Thx.

Mike.
:cheers2:

Re: Bourbon Porter.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:42 am
by Hobbitfu
I usually go low to mid range (like wild turkey, Buffalo Trace, Maker's Mark). The nuances of really good bourbon will be lost in the beer. But I generally stay away from really cheap stuff (ie - Jim Beam white label).

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Re: Bourbon Porter.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:11 pm
by maglorski
Great, thanks Trevor.

Re: Bourbon Porter.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:07 pm
by Hobbitfu
That being said I have various mason jars with various levels of toast (light,. Medium, heavy) with different bourbon and Canadian whiskey (Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, Wild Turkey, 40 Creek). One with coconut even. And one with vodka and vanilla beans. Can't wait to use more of these! So far have aged an imperial chocolate porter with Irish Whiskey and oak, and a pumpkin ale with Rum and Oak :)

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Re: Bourbon Porter.

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:58 am
by Keith
I haven't done anything with wood. But just did a vanilla bourbon chocolate milk stout. 3 split vanilla beans in 250ml Jim bean kentucky bourbon 10 days that all but the beans added to the fermenter. Delicious!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Re: Bourbon Porter.

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:10 pm
by milesbeershop
Keith wrote:I haven't done anything with wood. But just did a vanilla bourbon chocolate milk stout. 3 split vanilla beans in 250ml Jim bean kentucky bourbon 10 days that all but the beans added to the fermenter. Delicious!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I can agree that it was indeed…DELICIOUS!

Re: Bourbon Porter.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:01 am
by Reillisson
Your best bet for bourbon in my opinion is Bulliet. They now sell it at the nslc before I could only get it in the states. It tasted great in my vanilla bourbon porter and its also just great over some ice as well.