Page 1 of 1

Aeration Question

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:55 pm
by jimboh
In all the years I have been making beer from kits I never worried about this and don't think I ever had any problems with under aeration. But I normally do some vigorous stirring to mix the water and extract.

I just made a All Grain Beer with a grainfather and realised there is no stirring and very little splashin when pumping the wort from the GF to my newly aquired fastferment.
24 hours after adding yeast I have a steady bubble a second from the airlock.

Q. Should I open her up and give her a good stir or just let it run.

In future I will ensure a good splash or vigorous stir prior to adding yeast.

Re: Aeration Question

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:00 pm
by Ruby
The yeast need oxygen to multiply, and once they consume the oxygen they get down to consuming sugars. If there's no aeration there might not be enough yeast to get the job done, or they will over stress and possibly cause off flavours. I have one of the wine whips that i attach to a drill to whip some air in, but pure oxygen apparently does a way better job. If you can, get some bubbles going to help the wee yeasts. If you do this a few days after pitching the yeast, you will feed acetic acid bacteria, and this will give you malt vinegar instead of beer!

Re: Aeration Question

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:19 pm
by jimboh
Thanks for the speedy reply. Definitely don't want Vinegar! Also I don't have pure oxygen so are you recommending i give it a whip up now? I to have one of those drill stirrers.

Re: Aeration Question

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:23 pm
by Ruby
The earlier you oxygenate, the better!

Re: Aeration Question

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:32 pm
by jimboh
Ok Thanks I will do it now.

Re: Aeration Question

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:34 pm
by Jimmy
If you used dry yeast, there's no need to oxygenate the wort.

Re: Aeration Question

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:36 pm
by Jimmy
Also if the wort is already fermenting (you say it's bubbling?), I wouldn't try oxygenating it.

a) You don't want to introduce oxygen at this point
b) You'll likely end up with a geyser foaming out of your carboy

Re: Aeration Question

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:44 pm
by jimboh
Drat!!!
Yes I did use dry yeast and yes I did get a geyser. Managed to get the lid back on the fast ferment to stop it going everywhere.

Is it likely to cause a problem?

Re: Aeration Question

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:50 pm
by Jimmy
It'll likely be fine.

With that being said - generally once fermentation starts, you don't want to introduce oxygen.

Re: Aeration Question

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:56 pm
by jimboh
Ok Thanks, Will remember that in future. Always learning something new. Hopefully I haven't hurt my Old Speckled Hen - really looking forward to downing the first pint of this.

Re: Aeration Question

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:20 pm
by Ruby
My apologies if i gave you any duff information!

Re: Aeration Question

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:22 pm
by jimboh
No Problem. Sure it will be ok.