Page 1 of 1
Conical fermenter vs buckets: what are the benefits?
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:53 am
by Mrmegahurtz
Looking at upgrading to some new equipment and I'm wondering what to purchase next.
Brewing 10g double batches and splitting them into two buckets for fermentation. I am finding that there can be huge differences between the two buckets... I.e taste alcohol content, clarity.
Wondering if a Conical fermentor will help me out?
Re: Conical fermenter vs buckets: what are the benefits?
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:33 am
by Jimmy
Not sure why the 2 would vary so much, but I've been using a conical fermenter for a few years now...so some things to consider:
The biggest benefit I find with having the conical fermenter is ease of use. There's no lifting buckets around, no siphoning, having triclover connections is amazing (and more sanitary), taking samples is super easy, etc.
If I was someone who didn't already have a conical and was going to purchase one, I'd either get a BREWHA (that's what I currently use), or I'd buy a regular conical along with a hotrod heat stick from brewhardware. The BREWHA allows you to mash, boil, ferment all in one.
If you went the non-BREWHA route, you'd at least still be able to boil in the conical - sanitizing the conical while brewing, and eliminating an extra transfer.
Re: Conical fermenter vs buckets: what are the benefits?
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:34 am
by CorneliusAlphonse
Oh man, heat stick + conical is a great idea
Re: Conical fermenter vs buckets: what are the benefits?
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:42 am
by Keith
CorneliusAlphonse wrote: ↑Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:34 am
Oh man, heat stick + conical is a great idea
Just make sure the seals on your conical can handle the heat lol
Re: Conical fermenter vs buckets: what are the benefits?
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:57 am
by CorneliusAlphonse
Keith wrote: ↑Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:42 am
CorneliusAlphonse wrote: ↑Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:34 am
Oh man, heat stick + conical is a great idea
Just make sure the seals on your conical can handle the heat lol
yeah, i had the same thought. anyway, it's not something i could do for another year or two.
Re: Conical fermenter vs buckets: what are the benefits?
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:49 am
by sleepyjamie
I have the SS brewtek Brew Bucket 7 gallon and I love it. It is very easy to clean, portable, you can take samples, and isn't overly expensive like the more fancy conicals.
Re: Conical fermenter vs buckets: what are the benefits?
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:34 pm
by saosborne
a split batch should be the same. different tastes means your picking up something from the bucket or pitching at a different rate. stainless steel theoretically imparts no flavor, different clarity and alcohol content seems strange. to me it sounds like a temp issue. do you ferment at different levels? ie. one closer to the floor? if you've got the $$$ go for the conical with temp control.
Re: Conical fermenter vs buckets: what are the benefits?
Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:11 pm
by Jimmy
Keith wrote:CorneliusAlphonse wrote: ↑Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:34 am
Oh man, heat stick + conical is a great idea
Just make sure the seals on your conical can handle the heat lol
If you're buying a concial, I suggest something with triclover and butterfly valves. The extra cost is definitely worth the convenience and peace of mind.
Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Re: Conical fermenter vs buckets: what are the benefits?
Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:38 am
by Mrmegahurtz
Thank you everyone.
Re: Conical fermenter vs buckets: what are the benefits?
Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:41 am
by Mrmegahurtz
We are going to need a 14-17g fermentor. I have been looking on OBK and they are ranging 600-800? Are the Ss brewteck any good?
Re: Conical fermenter vs buckets: what are the benefits?
Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:41 am
by Mrmegahurtz
We are going to need a 14-17g fermentor. I have been looking on OBK and they are ranging 600-800? Are the Ss brewteck any good?
Re: Conical fermenter vs buckets: what are the benefits?
Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:12 am
by LeafMan66_67
sleepyjamie wrote:I have the SS brewtek Brew Bucket 7 gallon and I love it. It is very easy to clean, portable, you can take samples, and isn't overly expensive like the more fancy conicals.
Have you had any issues with the 3/8" ball valve? Seems small ...
Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Re: Conical fermenter vs buckets: what are the benefits?
Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:25 pm
by sleepyjamie
LeafMan66_67 wrote: ↑Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:12 am
sleepyjamie wrote:I have the SS brewtek Brew Bucket 7 gallon and I love it. It is very easy to clean, portable, you can take samples, and isn't overly expensive like the more fancy conicals.
Have you had any issues with the 3/8" ball valve? Seems small ...
Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Not yet, but I haven't done any big hopped beers in it. The yeast settles out nicely in the bottom of the bucket. I have mine hooked up to the STC-1000 with heat belts. Garage temp was 11C and belts kept the beer at 18.5C.