A spot to talk general homebrew
Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan Swinamer

Water test beforehand or after water softener

Post by Swine » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:22 pm

I need some thoughts.
I am on a well, and have a water softener that I fill with water salt.
I have been taking my water for brewing before the softener as I read in a John Palmer book that for extract brewing, don't use softened water.
I have now moved to all grain and continued to use water taken before the softener.
I have been noticing something 'thin' with my IPA (I brew almost all IPA because I really, really like IPA) and it has been suggested water additions would help with that.
So, I have the water kit for the QEII and am thinking of Package 3 at this link:
http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca/system/file ... sition.pdf

My big question, should I be taking my samples from before or after the water softener?

Cheers and thanks for the input.

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Re: Water test beforehand or after water softener

Post by Woody » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:36 am

I've read that with all grain not to use water with conditioning/softening salts in it. Now I have a friend who uses his with salts from his water conditioner and its makes good beer. So not everything we read is true. My current and previous home have been on well water and my water ph in both was around 8. So most times I need latic acid to get my water PH in the optimal zone. You want to be between 5 and 5.6. Using a PH meter will tell you exactly where you are. I usually try to hit 5.3. I would test your water prior to the salts. As for the beer being thin it may be the cause. Are you hitting your numbers ie efficiency when you use you well water? When I dialed in my water I got better efficiency and bitterness. Once you test your water you can use an online calculator like Bru n water or Brewers Friend to help with additions and a ph prediction. I use the advance brewers friend one and it will calculate acid additions required etc to lower your ph. You can load in your grist info, gypsum or calcium chloride etc :cheers2:

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Woody » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:12 pm

Just had a chance to look at your water kit and you'll need to know package 3 and 4. 4 also give you alkalinity and sulfate. Plug all your water numbers into an online calculator as mentioned above with your grist info and your ready to go.

Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan Swinamer

Post by Swine » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:52 am

Thanks for the tips! Package 4 it will be.
It's been 11 years since we had a proper water test on the well, so I can pass this off as a 'home' expense...

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Woody » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:37 pm

At my previous home I went 10 years between tests when I bought and sold and believe it or not some of the numbers changed over the years so it's money well spent to make better beer. The important ones are: Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Chloride, Sulfate, Alkalinity As:Bicarbonate or Alkalinity and PH. Happy brewing! :spilly:

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”