Storing Malt in PODS Storage

A spot to talk general homebrew
ivorm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ivor

Storing Malt in PODS Storage

Post by ivorm » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Anyone have any experience storing malt in a PODS storage container? I'm moving and need to store a bunch of stuff for 2-3 months. I have a PODS Storage container to put a bunch of my stuff in (all my home brew stuff unfortunately) and I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to put grains in there? Seems like this might attract mice while the container is in storage. I definitely won't be putting bags in there, I'll take them with me. This is more for my zip lock bags of different malts which are in a plastic tote. I'm sure mice/rats could chew through the container in no time.

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Re: Storing Malt in PODS Storage

Post by amartin » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:37 pm

How much are you talking about? If you have any old plastic bucket fermenters they're good for storing grain. I have mice sometimes, but I haven't seen them get in buckets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ivorm » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:21 pm

I have one tote, probably about 75L with a bunch a specialty malts. Probably 3 or 4 ice cream buckets with malt in them. Then I have about 2.5 bags of base malt which I think I'll just take with me and put in a closet at the new place.

Has anyone seen mice chew through plastic totes/buckets? I've seen rats chew through green bins but that's a little different.

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:44 am

I would imagine in a properly sealed plastic bucket the mice/rats would never know there was food in them so they wouldn't even try to eat through them.

I use 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal screw on lid adapters. I got a dozen from costco and they do the trick. I actually wound up taking them with me to BC because those gamma lids aren't cheap - debated leaving the actual buckets behind but then I just used them to ship most of our clothing instead (just jammed the buckets full and loaded them on the moving truck)

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ivorm » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:12 am

Yeah im thinking it'll be okay for that same reason. I'll find out in another week when I take my stuff out of storage. Can't wait to brew a batch of beer again!

Thirsty
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Corey Smith

Post by Thirsty » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:37 am

I have seen mice chew through l sorts of containers including buckets and totes. But I agree, if it is properly sealed, they are unlikely to know there is anything interesting in there

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”