DIY Element Enclosures

A spot to talk general homebrew
wader98
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Wade

DIY Element Enclosures

Post by wader98 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:01 pm

Just looking for some feedback in regards to some element enclosures.
i'm slowely starting to build a 2.5 EBIAB set up and starting with my boil kettle. I have a 5 gallon kettle and looking to add one or 2 1500 Watt elements from Everwood. i want to do it on the cheap side and was looking at the Hotpod from brewhardware but with exchange and shipping they are roughly 45$ a piece. I found this link on HBT http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=506987 and they basically made the same thing with a sugar shaker and cable gland.
has anyone ever tried this kind of DIY? my other option is to get a 1800 Watt induction as my kettle is induction ready. just not sure what would be the better and cheapest option.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Re: DIY Element Enclosures

Post by RubberToe » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:39 am

If I were to build another I think I'd give the sugar shaker method a try. I used a small switch box / housing for mine, there should be pics in my build thread (see signature). Good luck.

Edit: I couldn't find a good pic but I based mine on theelectricbrewery.com style, no shim, no leaks.

-Rob
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:37 pm

I know Dave used to have the tri clamp ones. I wonder if he could get some of the weldless ones in. I'd be up for some: http://www.brew-boss.com/product-p/htr-we.htm

jimboh
Verified User
Verified User
Name: jim

Post by jimboh » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:38 pm

I just bought two of the hotpods and I am well pleased.
I needed 2 30A 240v plugs as well for my 4.5kw elements and they were $10USD a piece at brewers hardware. Everywhere I tried here wanted $34CAD each, so for me it worked out.
I also silver soldered element nuts onto my two boiler kegs and they sell a Solder kit inc the liquid flux for around $14US if I remember rightly. Couldn't even find that here.

I have just built a 58L and a 18L boiler as bases for my water purifier.. One using a 58L sanke keg and the other a ball lock corney that someone had welded a sankey fitting in place of the lid.
Now my purifier connects to the keg using a 2in Tri Clamp. Well chuffed.

Wish I had seen that sugar shaker post though.
Drinking: Best Coast IPA, Old Speckled Hen Clone, Northern Lights (NG),
Belgian Saison, Blonde Ale, Toy Soldier Stout(OBK) and 14G batch of ESB.
Fermenting: Taking a rest!
Scheduled: Another 10G of Toy Soldier Stout.

wader98
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Wade

Post by wader98 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Tried the 1800 Watt induction cooktop from Costco and it's a no go.
Tried to boil 4 gallons of water and after an hour and a quarter I gave up. Started water @ 95F and was able to get up to 165 in about 30 mins. After 75 mins I was stuck at 205F and didn't want to seem to go any higher.
Found the sugar shakers at Bed Bath and Beyond for 10$ so will pick some up tonight and hopefully by this weeked get the elements installed.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”