Paint Mixer & Hot Side Aeration?

A spot to talk general homebrew
maglorski
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike

Paint Mixer & Hot Side Aeration?

Post by maglorski » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Thinking about attaching a paint mixer to my drill and (slowly) getting a whirlpool going against the flow of my immersion chiller.

I recall Palmer speaking about the ills of potential hot side aeration but I did some digging and found an interesting read:

http://brulosophy.com/2014/11/18/is-hot ... t-results/

Does anybody use a mixer of sorts c/w and immersion chiller to speed up cooling?

Thanks as always in adv.

Mike.

Hub Brewer
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Pete

Re: Paint Mixer & Hot Side Aeration?

Post by Hub Brewer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:33 pm

If the mixer is down in the wort you're not likely aerating much more than if you were using a pump to create a whirlpool, which is pretty common. I use a pump as well as a 50' immersion chiller. Not saying my beer is harmed or not for doing so, rather that you won't be the only one out there doing it that way:)

maglorski
Verified User
Verified User

Post by maglorski » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:17 am

Good to know.

Thanks for the reply!

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:01 am

maglorski wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:30 pm
Thinking about attaching a paint mixer to my drill and (slowly) getting a whirlpool going against the flow of my immersion chiller.

I recall Palmer speaking about the ills of potential hot side aeration but I did some digging and found an interesting read:

http://brulosophy.com/2014/11/18/is-hot ... t-results/

Does anybody use a mixer of sorts c/w and immersion chiller to speed up cooling?

Thanks as always in adv.

Mike.
Just a note, the wort only needs to be moving. You don't need to set run it full out if you can avoid it. :cheers2:
Worry about O2 when you are transferring to kegs :cheers2:
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

maglorski
Verified User
Verified User

Post by maglorski » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:33 am

That would be my intention - low and slow.

Not kegging yet (sigh)...soon...soon...I'm building an electric setup so I can't really go to management for fund approval for a kegging setup right now.

Thanks for the reply.

HoweFox
Verified User
Verified User

Post by HoweFox » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:47 am

I wonder if you could build a mount for the drill so you don't have to hold it? Moving my immersion chiller for 10-15 minutes is the only part of my brew day that I would like to get rid of. I've been considering a pump for awhile, but don't want the added clean up (or the few hundred dollars to set it up). A simple drill with paint stirrer attached to a piece of plywood might do the trick?

maglorski
Verified User
Verified User

Post by maglorski » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:20 pm

HoweFox wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:47 am
I wonder if you could build a mount for the drill so you don't have to hold it? Moving my immersion chiller for 10-15 minutes is the only part of my brew day that I would like to get rid of. I've been considering a pump for awhile, but don't want the added clean up (or the few hundred dollars to set it up). A simple drill with paint stirrer attached to a piece of plywood might do the trick?
Yeah, I was thinking along those lines too, I wonder if a corded drill plugged into a dimmer switch would work. Zip-tie the trigger down and control the speed with the the dial.

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:25 pm

I use a paint mixer on a drill to stir the mash and to accelerate immersion chilling. One direction will get a nice whirlpool going, the opposite can agitate the snot out of it. I use the opposite direction to aerate prior to transfer to fermentors.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by know1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:28 pm

I use a paint mixer on a drill to stir the mash and to accelerate immersion chilling. One direction will get a nice whirlpool going, the opposite can agitate the snot out of it. I use the opposite direction to aerate prior to transfer to fermentors.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale

maglorski
Verified User
Verified User

Post by maglorski » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:10 pm

know1 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:28 pm
Thanks Jeramy!

(we seem to be having a hard time getting a date for our next swap...)

MM.

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by know1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:56 pm

maglorski wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:20 pm
HoweFox wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking along those lines too, I wonder if a corded drill plugged into a dimmer switch would work. Zip-tie the trigger down and control the speed with the the dial.
You'd likely end up burning out the dimmer or the motor. The power in stays the same, the difference in speed output is usually waste heat. My drill gets warm just doing reduced speed milling for a couple minutes from the variable speed trigger. Youd be better off using something more slender at full speed....or just giver with the mixer and dont worry about hot side aeration....its just a myth anyway, right?

maglorski
Verified User
Verified User

Post by maglorski » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:30 pm

know1 wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:56 pm
maglorski wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:20 pm
HoweFox wrote:
You'd likely end up burning out the dimmer or the motor. The power in stays the same, the difference in speed output is usually waste heat. My drill gets warm just doing reduced speed milling for a couple minutes from the variable speed trigger. Youd be better off using something more slender at full speed....or just giver with the mixer and dont worry about hot side aeration....its just a myth anyway, right?
Yeah, I've gone on a number of forum's now and (most) people seem to say there's no noticeable effect on the beer.

Thx.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”