Kegerator in Garage?

A spot to talk general homebrew
maglorski
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike

Kegerator in Garage?

Post by maglorski » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:36 pm

Yay or nay to keeping a kegerator in a Dartmouth garage year round?

I had a deep freeze in the garage that did crap out on me, not sure if it was an actual defect in the unit or if it didn't like being in the garage.

To give some background: my garage isn't heated but it is attached to the house and the garage door isn't insulated.

Thx.

Mike.

MacMan
Name: Andy

Re: Kegerator in Garage?

Post by MacMan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:18 am

maglorski wrote:Yay or nay to keeping a kegerator in a Dartmouth garage year round?

I had a deep freeze in the garage that did crap out on me, not sure if it was an actual defect in the unit or if it didn't like being in the garage.

To give some background: my garage isn't heated but it is attached to the house and the garage door isn't insulated.

Thx.

Mike.

I believe you would run into freezing and thawing issues , I have the same setup and I keep my beer fridge just inside the garage door in the heated part. The issue would be repeated freezing and thawing of product, that wouldn't be good. I'm in Lawrencetown NS with an attached unheated garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kegged 1: Best Case West Coast IPA
Kegged 2: Bestcase Honey Wheat IPA
Kegged 3: Bestcase Irish Red IPA
Fermenting: TBD

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:25 am

I ran my kegerator in a largely unheated detached garage and had no issues. It rarely goes below freezing as it's well insulated and does see the upstairs heated periodically.
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

sgrhyno
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shaun Rhyno

Post by sgrhyno » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:13 am

I use a small bar fridge (just big enough for 2 corny's). It sat in may garage all winter, usually with at least 1 keg with beer in it. Similar to yours, it's attached and unheated but insulated. No frozen product yet, but the beer was always cold!

maglorski
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike

Post by maglorski » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:46 am

Good to know, thanks to all.

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:26 pm

My kegerator lives in the garage which hangs out at around 10-15 C in the winter. In theory it should work better in the lower ambient temp. The only issue ive had is that in the summer it is prone to condensation inside where humidity creeps in. Ive had the freezer ice up a couple times which may be a combo of excess condensation and potentially a defroster issue. Ive now made it a point to check for ice regularly to thaw the drain line promptly before the ice creeps across the freezer.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

Timelord_
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tom

Post by Timelord_ » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:49 pm

Run one in my garage with no issue. I do keep it closer to the house side of the garage, which may help.... That being said, nothing freezes in my garage
maglorski wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:36 pm
Yay or nay to keeping a kegerator in a Dartmouth garage year round?

Thx.

Mike.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”