BIAB the night before

A spot to talk general homebrew
Timelord_
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tom

BIAB the night before

Post by Timelord_ » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Time is pretty limited in our household, which makes me wonder if I can do the BIAB. " soak" the night before. I would bring I think up to mash temps, let th grain do its thing, then after the hour or so, pull th bag.

Th next morning I would the heat the wort snd bring to boil. Anything to worry about?

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Re: BIAB the night before

Post by sleepyjamie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:28 pm

I wouldn't recommend letting the mash cool then reheating. This isn't something that has been studied.

Here's my recommendations

- Do 30min mashes and 30 min boils and keep the brew day time sensitive. This has been studied by brulosophy blog with success.

or

- Do a 24 hour mash keeping the mash temp constant and recirculate sous vide style https://anovaculinary.com/
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:54 pm

You could always mash the night before, and then pull the bag and bring it up to a boil. Then cover and insulate and boil the next day. Or, just have the grain crushed and minerals measured and everything, and heat the water up to boiling. That way you can probably mash in soon after you get up, depending on how much it cools off overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:16 am

I mash for 7 to 8 hours all the time with no issues. I insulate my pot with a jacket and sleeping bag. After the mash I pull the bag and boil. It may be easier to maintain heat with the grain. All I have found is I get an extra 4 points. You don't want astringent flavours so I'd recommend adding the dark grains a few minutes before you pull the bag. Do what works for you. I'd mash over night but as you can see we all have different experiences and what your thinking can be done. If I mash at 150F at the end of 6-8 hours I'm usually around 140-141 F. I'd be nervous if the mash went under 130F.

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:53 pm

I haven't done this with BIAB but I've done overnight mashes in my cooler and mash out in the morning. Worked fine for me and broke up the long tedious brew day nicely.

The suggestion to boil your water the night before might be good for you. That way you can wake up and hit your desired mash temp fairly quickly and start your boil after breakfast and a coffee 8-)

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Marc Thibodeau

Post by mthibodeau » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:04 am

amartin wrote:You could always mash the night before, and then pull the bag and bring it up to a boil. Then cover and insulate and boil the next day. Or, just have the grain crushed and minerals measured and everything, and heat the water up to boiling. That way you can probably mash in soon after you get up, depending on how much it cools off overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've done this, not overnight but put it aside for most of a day and boiled at night, it worked out nicely

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:23 pm

I've done overnight BIAB mashes, morning mashes, all day mashes... I've let the mash sit in the bag, and also raised the bag to let drain after a normal length mash followed by a bring to boil (or almost) to kill the enzymes.

All of those methods are fine. As mentioned, you will likely see an increase in conversion efficiency. If I'm doing an extended mash like this I'll start with a slightly higher mash temperature since that increases the breakdown of amylase enzymes.

The biggest thing is RDWHAHB. :cheers:
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”