Fermentation chamber question: Mini Fridge vs Wine Fridge vs Chest Freezer?

A spot to talk general homebrew
wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Fermentation chamber question: Mini Fridge vs Wine Fridge vs Chest Freezer?

Post by wcturnedec » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:59 am

Hey all,

I need some opinions/advice on the best all around setup for fermentation chamber.

Currently I have a three tap keezer but space is limited and I really only cold-crash if I have space in it. I've found some decent mini-fridges and wine fridges on Kijiji that could work as a ferm chamber. I currently don't brew lagers, but with the right setup I would for sure.

I've read that even with a temp controller mini-fridges/wine fridges can struggle when pushed below 40F, so with that a keezer would make sense, however those can be bulky and space is limited for me.

So what might be the best option for someone brewing mostly ales, occasionally cold-crashing and potentially going to lager?

Thanks!
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Re: Fermentation chamber question: Mini Fridge vs Wine Fridge vs Chest Freezer?

Post by darciandjenn » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:24 pm

We have a mini fridge and a deep freezer and we've used both for controlling fermentation temperatures. haven't had an issue with either, though we do use damp-rid (or similar product) in the freezer to help with moisture build up. One thing about the freezer (which we use more frequently, because it's bigger and we do a lot of 10G batches), is there is a lot of lifting involved because it's a classic deep freeze with the lid on top. If I were to buy a new one (the one we have was free), I'd look for something that has a door instead.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Keezer style - pros: low temps, usually room for two or more carboys. con: have to lift them in an out, might not be a problem. I had a keezer ferm chamber that fit 2 and I loved it. If I needed more cold space I'd probably go this route again.

Fridge style - cons: likely to only fit one fermentor; might not get cold enough. pros: easily accessible, easy to find a mini fridge. A mini fridge also takes up less space than a keezer.

I have a small all-fridge (a bit over 5 feet tall) that my conical lives in which works really well. It has no problem hitting low temps.

Something else I have rigged up is an insulated crawl space under my basement stairs, like a little cold room, I put an A/C unit inside and it works fairly well but low cold crashing isn't going to happen.

Just my 2 cents, good luck.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Post by wcturnedec » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks folks!

If I had the space I definitely would go with the freezer, need something to fit in a small storage area and I'm usually only fermenting one beer at a time, so if I can get the temp down in a mini fridge that might be my best bet.
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

Thirsty
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Corey Smith

Post by Thirsty » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:21 pm

I recently went from a 2 keg mini fridge to a many keg full size, single door fridge for dispensing so my mini fridge is now only used for cold crashing a single carboy. It seems to be limited to about 4C though.

Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Lisa James

Post by Lisa J » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:00 am

Has anyone tried up-ending a chest freezer and using it vertically? The thought of lifting glass carboys in and out of a chest freezer (of which we seem to have inherited several) keeps me from using one as a ferm chamber. Not sure how the compressor would react to a different orientation.
On Tap at The Frisky Lemur Pub: Pumpkin Spice Ale; Frisky Lemur IPA; ESB; CranApple Cider; RazBerliner
Fermenting/Conditioning/Bottled: Joyeux Noel Holiday Spiced Ale; NEIPA
On Deck: Altbier; NEIPA; Oatmeal Stout

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:30 am

I don't think it's advisable to reorient anything with a compressor. Even fridges need to be stood up for a period of time before being plugged in if laid down while moving.
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lisa J » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:18 pm

elreplica wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:30 am
I don't think it's advisable to reorient anything with a compressor. Even fridges need to be stood up for a period of time before being plugged in if laid down while moving.
That was my suspicion...
On Tap at The Frisky Lemur Pub: Pumpkin Spice Ale; Frisky Lemur IPA; ESB; CranApple Cider; RazBerliner

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:03 am

Lisa J wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:18 pm
elreplica wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:30 am
That was my suspicion...

Yes...I corroborated it on Homebrewtalk and with a refrigeration guy...if you could rotate the compressor it might be ok...but a lot of potential work...
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Marc Thibodeau

Post by mthibodeau » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:05 am

Upright freezer seems like the way to go then, just not likely to find one cheap on Kijiji, but they are around

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Most UR freezers have the cooling in the shelves so they cant be moved.

S

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:43 pm

I have a fermentation chamber made of wood strapping and pink foam board insulation and one of those little cube fridges for dorms. It can hold the temperature 20ºF below ambient, so it's good for ales year round and fermenting lagers most of the year, but not cold crashing. What I was doing for lagers last winter was just fermenting in the chamber and then cold crashing outside with some batting type insulation around it with a garbage bag to cover it from the rain. It's not pretty, but it works.

However, I want to start making lagers year round, so I'm thinking about moving towards a chest freezer option instead.

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:25 pm

I have a side by side fridge with the freezer on the left and fridge on the right. On the right I have 5 kegs and four taps on the front door.

On the left side of the freezer down as low as I can get it i cut a 4" hole and stuck a computer fan in it hooked to an STC 1000, this blows cold air into a chamber I have made of plywood and rigid foam that can hold two plastic buckets or two SS fermenters. At the the top of the chamber I have 4" Port feeding back into the freezer to help cycle the air. Both holes in freezer are fixed with insulated ducting and the outfits with the flappers that you see on the exterior wall of a house for dryer vents. I actually have three of these chambers attached to one another.

In the chamber closest to the freezer I can get as low as 6 degrees, when at 6 I can keep chamber two at two degrees above that and chamber three at two degrees above that.

The whole thing including the fridge is about 11 feet long but also acts as my work bench and brewing table. You don't sound like you have space for that but even with one "bay" it serves dual purpose as a kegerator and Ferm chamber and it's an awesome lookin setup.

Just gotta be careful not to hit a coolant line when drilling. Good luck with whatever you do.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:35 pm

Lisa J wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:00 am
Has anyone tried up-ending a chest freezer and using it vertically? The thought of lifting glass carboys in and out of a chest freezer (of which we seem to have inherited several) keeps me from using one as a ferm chamber. Not sure how the compressor would react to a different orientation.
You have extra chest freezers you say?
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lisa J » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:23 am

KB1138 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:35 pm

You have extra chest freezers you say?
Quite possibly. As soon as the dust settles I'll post anything available here first.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”