A spot to talk general homebrew
RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steffen Rosswog

Weed Beer

Post by RossBee » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Asking for a friend.

My friend has about a pound of what he calls premium bud ( I have no idea what that is ). A friend of that friend wants to use this in his brew. Any ideas? Middle man here, thought I would ask the experts out there.

Not me, never heard of me, nothing to do with this, medium only, transferring information, mini Google imitation, asking for a friend.
Why brew beer I can buy?

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: Weed Beer

Post by GAM » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:51 pm

I had a "Weed Beer" a while ago. I loved it. The brewer may fess up or contact you with a PM, depending on how comfortable he feels.I cant remember the details but it was a big dose as a dry "Weed".

Sandy

saosborne
Verified User
Verified User
Name: sean osborne

Post by saosborne » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:34 pm

As far as I understand it the THC needs a fat molecule to adhere to if used for steeping, boiling or teas to extract it otherwise your just getting the flavor out of it none or very little of the other effects

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:05 pm

My understanding is that it's possible to extract the THC with alcohol to make a tincture that you could dose the beer with. You could then dry weed it (with non-premium stuff of course) to get a bit of the flavour and aroma if that's what he's after.

Not that I have first hand experience with any of this, only transferring information, heard it from a friend...

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:46 pm

I have made such beer. I hope this doesn't violate the forum rules like it would on Homebrew Talk.

I used 3/4 oz of outdoor homegrown, ground up, and soaked in about 1/2 quart of 100% alcohol for about a week. You can't use 40% apparently. Make sure you are certain of your source for this!

You'll want to measure your final liquid volume of tincture, divide that by how many bottles of beer, and add that amount to each bottle after filling with a syringe.

I would recommend an IPA with lots of late hops and dry hop. Lots of simcoe and Amarillo. Balance the booziness from the tincture with wyeast 1968, and keep your crystal malts within reason.

You want it to be drinkable not an vodka flavored hop bomb.

When pouring the beer pour the sediment and all into the glass. When you find the article online that says THC is hydrophobic don't assume that the THC is sitting on top of the beer/glass. We were almost certain that it was all in the sediment. It's still puzzling to me. My buddy drank 4 one night and nothing and then the next night I suggested pouring the sediment and he said he thought he was dying.

This is all very un-scientific and based on one experience.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:48 pm

And it fell off a truck Jeff!!!

Sandy

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by oceanic_brew » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:50 pm

I found it especially troubling that I feel the need to be hush hush about a completely harmless medicinal plant on a forum dedicated to making a drug that's killed thousands.

But that's for another day

Good luck

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RossBee » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm

My friend thanks you for your input. Any other suggestions will be forwarded and greatly appreciated.

Next, anyone have any experience with Helium for carbonation?
Why brew beer I can buy?

dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Name: deano

Post by dean2k » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:33 am

RossBee wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm
Next, anyone have any experience with Helium for carbonation?
ffs you're taking getting high way too literal.

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RossBee » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:23 pm

You funny my man. Got any helium?
Why brew beer I can buy?

sheanhiggins
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shiggins

Post by sheanhiggins » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:26 am

Fuck it.

I've brewed it and it was awesome.
No need to hide shit.

1) Corn wash distilled to roughly a gallon of 94% in a home still (You straight up can't hit 100% as the previous post indicated)

2)Soaked 1 oz of legit sativa.

3)Meant to soak for 48hrs, ended up soaking for roughly 1 month. (life got busy) Colour went from bright green to forest green to brown to black.

(Ideally you want a 2 or 3 day soak to extract the canabanoids/THC as any longer of a soak will extract vegital shit you don't want in your beer) Which I definitely had.

4) Brewed a 20L batch of 9% DIPA. Hops: Apollo, Colombus. HUGE late addition Apollo. (known for dank nose/flavour) but maybe half the bittering.

5)Treated the DIPA as any other. Gave it 5 weeks to ferment, forget how long it crashed.

6) When I eventually found the time, I set up a double boiler on my stove. Fan in the window for safety, and slowly reduced my pot/booze to a much smaller amount. I kind of winged this part so I can't give you any numbers, but I slowly boiled off enough alcohol to land at about 1/4 the original volume.

(Ideally you want to keep reducing to a thick tincture but I got lazy)

7) On bottling day I transfered from carboy to bottling bucket, and mixed in my 'Green Dragon' weed extract.

8) 4 weeks later we jumped in. HUGE pot aroma, slight vegital off flavour, hoppy as fuck and boozy. My wife and I tested, and the results were great. I can't give you even approx THC levels, but I can say this...

9) Wife and I shared 2 bottles, quickly ordered pizza. By the time the pizza guy arrived, we ended up tipping him with Weed Beer.

10)Tests on friends: Those who regularly smoke pot didn't get much of a "high" but those who hadn't smoked in a long time found the beer to have a very light, breezy high that was definitely pumped up by the abv. Those who had never smoked pot thought it was the greatest beer they ever had. ;)

Some loved it and some were 'meh' but everyone loved the flavour profile. Weed belongs in beer. Just like hops. They are cousins afterall. Kinda got you high, but just a pinch.

That's my weed beer game. Would change a few things but the nose/flavour was on point..
"Lets just brew some beer and we'll figure the rest out while we brew"

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:15 am

The one I tried was not as high ABV and if I did not know of the pot (there was much more in his if I remember) I don't know if I would have known anything was different.

Sandy

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by oceanic_brew » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:07 pm

sheanhiggins wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:26 am
Fuck it.

I've brewed it and it was awesome.
No need to hide shit.

1) Corn wash distilled to roughly a gallon of 94% in a home still (You straight up can't hit 100% as the previous post indicated)

2)Soaked 1 oz of legit sativa.

3)Meant to soak for 48hrs, ended up soaking for roughly 1 month. (life got busy) Colour went from bright green to forest green to brown to black.

(Ideally you want a 2 or 3 day soak to extract the canabanoids/THC as any longer of a soak will extract vegital shit you don't want in your beer) Which I definitely had.

4) Brewed a 20L batch of 9% DIPA. Hops: Apollo, Colombus. HUGE late addition Apollo. (known for dank nose/flavour) but maybe half the bittering.

5)Treated the DIPA as any other. Gave it 5 weeks to ferment, forget how long it crashed.

6) When I eventually found the time, I set up a double boiler on my stove. Fan in the window for safety, and slowly reduced my pot/booze to a much smaller amount. I kind of winged this part so I can't give you any numbers, but I slowly boiled off enough alcohol to land at about 1/4 the original volume.

(Ideally you want to keep reducing to a thick tincture but I got lazy)

7) On bottling day I transfered from carboy to bottling bucket, and mixed in my 'Green Dragon' weed extract.

8) 4 weeks later we jumped in. HUGE pot aroma, slight vegital off flavour, hoppy as fuck and boozy. My wife and I tested, and the results were great. I can't give you even approx THC levels, but I can say this...

9) Wife and I shared 2 bottles, quickly ordered pizza. By the time the pizza guy arrived, we ended up tipping him with Weed Beer.

10)Tests on friends: Those who regularly smoke pot didn't get much of a "high" but those who hadn't smoked in a long time found the beer to have a very light, breezy high that was definitely pumped up by the abv. Those who had never smoked pot thought it was the greatest beer they ever had. ;)

Some loved it and some were 'meh' but everyone loved the flavour profile. Weed belongs in beer. Just like hops. They are cousins afterall. Kinda got you high, but just a pinch.

That's my weed beer game. Would change a few things but the nose/flavour was on point..
Good job making the alcohol for the tincture!

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”