Off Taste Issue

A spot to talk general homebrew
ZackHarrison
Name: Zack Harrison

Off Taste Issue

Post by ZackHarrison » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:53 am

Hey Brewnosers,

I am still pretty new to the homebrew world and I am working out the kinks in my brew process one at a time through trial and error, however one issue I can't seem to fix is an off taste in many of my batches. The beer comes out like it should but there is a very faint of taste (almost like a tin flavour) that seems to pop up in almost all of my batches.

I was wondering if any of you have had a similar problem. If so, what ended up being the problem and how do I come up with a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Zack

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Re: Off Taste Issue

Post by mckay75 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:05 pm

Can you describe your brew process a bit? What type of beer do you typically brew? Fermentation temps?

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250°F for about 6 hours.
From http://howtobrew.com/book/section-4/is- ... ff-flavors

Sandy

sheppard107
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Chris S

Post by sheppard107 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:05 pm

Check your gear for corrosion too. I had a few batches with a metallic taste, and I traced it back to a not-stainless steel tea infuser I was using for hops.
ON TAP: Crazy Corvid English Pale Ale, Unlucky Sunday Rye Stout
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:23 pm

What is your water supply?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:31 am

it can also help if someone else tastes your beer - they might have better advice to give at that point. could try to make it out to a meeting or event with some of your homebrew to share around and get advice.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:59 am

I've had "tinny" issues from time to time whist cooking extracts and partials. The best advice I was given (or read) was to use reverse osmosis water, as the malt extract already contains water from its original source - which may contain water that could impart metallic tastes. Your water might amplify that taste.
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”