A spot to talk general homebrew
kyledandrus
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kyle Andrus

Kegerator foaming

Post by kyledandrus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:10 am

Hey all,

I have my 5 gal keg and 5# tank in one of those can-shaped fridges. Last night, it was basically pouring straight foam. Like thick foam. It was only the second night pouring from that new batch, first night was fine. The only adjustment I made was making it a bit less cold in there. I don't have a thermometer in there, but I didn't think it would make that much of a difference.

I put the temp back to where it was, and can check tonight, but could that have made that much of a difference? It was the only change I've made. Never had an issue before.

Thanks,

Kyle
@kyledandrus
1/3 of 902 BrewCast

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Re: Kegerator foaming

Post by mckay75 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:47 am

what do you have your pressure set to?

kyledandrus
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kyledandrus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:07 am

Should have included that. It's at about 12 PSI, I think? The tank is in the fridge, so I know the cold can mess with the pressure in the tank, etc.
@kyledandrus
1/3 of 902 BrewCast

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:08 am

How long is your serving line? Based on 12 PSI it should be about 6ft long
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

kyledandrus
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kyledandrus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:15 am

It's probably about 4'. I dialed the serving pressure back a bit last night. Talking with Mark over DM, seems like my diptube may be clogged with hops. Going to troubleshoot a bit after work.
@kyledandrus
1/3 of 902 BrewCast

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:48 am

kyledandrus wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:15 am
It's probably about 4'. I dialed the serving pressure back a bit last night. Talking with Mark over DM, seems like my diptube may be clogged with hops. Going to troubleshoot a bit after work.
Could also be your poppet clogged with hops. For really hoppy beers, I sometimes remove the poppet from the out post on the keg along with the pin in the keg connector. You may end up with some hop debris in your glass, but it's better than constantly fighting with clogs.

One thing to remember if you do that—always depressurize your keg before disconnecting the line. Otherwise, you'll get a nice shower. :spilly:

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Mike

Post by ackes » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:09 pm

I had an issue with one of mine being foamy and when I finally emptied the keg to clean it - the end of the dip tube was up against one of the walls of the keg on the bottom - instead of being directed to the middle (which leaves a gap between the bottom of the keg and diptube). I think was causing turbulence and foaming.
I had also taken the dip tube and keg posts off and cleaned them - thinking that was it. But this was a porter - so not a hoppy beer at all.
And in hindsight the beer was too dark to see all the way to the bottom of the keg to make sure I put the diptube back in properly once I cleaned everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kegged: House honey wheat, Honey Brown ale.
Fermenting: West Coast IPA
On deck: Mad Elf Clone to age until Winter
In the hole:: NEIPA / Honey Wheat./ Sour season !
Kegged and aging:: RIS

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:21 pm

What temp is your beer?
Did you force carb? If so what temp and pressure did you rock at?
See you have it set to 12psi and are using 4' of line. I use 10' of line on mine which solved this for myself when I started.
Are you using a picnic tap or regular tap?
Also check your dip tube, faucets etc for any clogs.

Kyle if you want I can pop over this weekend and take a look. I think I have a 10' line on a thumb tap we can use to rule out your line length.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

kyledandrus
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kyledandrus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:17 pm

Keith wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:21 pm
What temp is your beer?
Did you force carb? If so what temp and pressure did you rock at?
See you have it set to 12psi and are using 4' of line. I use 10' of line on mine which solved this for myself when I started.
Are you using a picnic tap or regular tap?
Also check your dip tube, faucets etc for any clogs.

Kyle if you want I can pop over this weekend and take a look. I think I have a 10' line on a thumb tap we can use to rule out your line length.
It's been on 12psi since I kegged it. Didn't force carb. I'm going to depressurize the keg and shoot my gas down the beer line this evening and see if that fixes it. It's on picnic tap right now.

I've done every beer the same way since I started and never had an issue (and the first pint poured fine the other night) so I'm thinking it's a clogging issue.

I'll give you a shout if that doesn't work.
@kyledandrus
1/3 of 902 BrewCast

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Cheers!
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

kyledandrus
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kyledandrus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:59 pm

Ok, so I turned off the gas and gradually got a decent pint. Seems hella over-carbed
@kyledandrus
1/3 of 902 BrewCast

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:10 pm

Based on your comment about your can shaped fridge. Could your beer be freezing? Sometimes those are colder at the bottom and warm as it gets a higher

"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

kyledandrus
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kyledandrus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:32 pm

LiverDance wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:10 pm
Based on your comment about your can shaped fridge. Could your beer be freezing? Sometimes those are colder at the bottom and warm as it gets a higher

Possible. I should get a thermometer in there. But there is a fan in the bottom
@kyledandrus
1/3 of 902 BrewCast

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”