Mash: Grain to water or water to grain?

A spot to talk general homebrew
jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Mash: Grain to water or water to grain?

Post by jason.loxton » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Getting back into brewing after a few years of self-imposed absence. Rethinking a number of aspects of my technique. For example, I have always added water to grain, but frequently had trouble hitting my target without tweaking after with hot water or prolonged time with the lid open. Thinking about shifting to the opposite: adding grain to water. Since the tun and strike water temperature will have already stabilized, it seems likely to yield easier and more consistent temps. Palmer advised against this to avoid thermal shock of enzymes. I can see it occurring if you were adding grain slowly to a large mass of liquid, but if you dumped all your grain in at once and immediately stirred, I can't really imagine that this would risk denaturing more enzymes than occur when the strike water initially hits the grain bed the other way around. Any thoughts? Links to more updated articles/podcasts on the subject? (I've Google around a bit but most of what I found is just discussion on Palmer's original statement, without any science to bring it up to date on the homebrew scale.)
Last edited by jason.loxton on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Mike

Re: Mash: Grain to water or water to grain?

Post by ackes » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:21 pm

It basically sounds like the same thing I do as a BIAB'er and it's never something that I've been told to worry about.
So I can't imagine it'd be any different dumping your grains into a tun already filled with strike water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kegged: House honey wheat, Honey Brown ale.
Fermenting: West Coast IPA
On deck: Mad Elf Clone to age until Winter
In the hole:: NEIPA / Honey Wheat./ Sour season !
Kegged and aging:: RIS

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:48 pm

I'm in the add grains to the water camp, and I add to my full water volume. I consistently have well attenuated beers so I think it's a non-issue.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:10 pm

RubberToe wrote:I'm in the add grains to the water camp, and I add to my full water volume. I consistently have well attenuated beers so I think it's a non-issue.
Same here. I add grain slowly to full volume of strike water, haven't had attenuation issues.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:09 pm

jason.loxton wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:04 pm
Since the tun and strike water temperature will have already stabilized, it seems likely to yield easier and more consistent temps.
This is exactly why I switched to grain-to-water and since doing so I have hit my temps much more consistently. I also get far fewer doughballs (granted, the 24" whisk probably helps a bunch with that too). I know analogies between cooking and brewing don't always hold, but I also note that when baking you almost always add the dry ingredients to the wet and never all at once. If you stir while you're adding and keep a decent flow, I don't believe you're in much danger of thermal damage to enzymes. And even if there is some damage, I'm pretty sure that in most grists you've got way more enzymes available than are needed for conversion. If anything, I've seen a slight increase in efficiency since making the change, rather than a decrease.

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:01 am

if you add water to grain, you have a little less chance of getting clumping of the grain that results in the water not getting to all the grain. When you pour a a cup or more of grain into the water, it has a tendency to just sink as a single almost dry ball, and you have to be careful to stir it in and break it up (which can lead to hot-side aeration, which is a Bad Thing). otoh, I've always, added grain to water! Just make sure to stir well, without splashing too much.
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:34 am

Another "grain to water" brewer checking in. I've always brewed this way, and haven't had any issues.

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Grain to water full volume 1 barrel batch. Zero issues.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:02 am

I'm a water-to-grain person myself. Grain in my MLT (with false bottom) and then underlet with my pump. Rarely end up with any dough balls and temps are pretty consistent.

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:38 am

I do water-to-grain. I also pre-heat my mash tun for a few minutes and wrap the whole thing in a couple of thick towels to keep the heat in. My problem is that the temps in some parts of the cooler are vastly different from others. Never seems to negatively affect my efficiency or attenuation though.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:11 pm

jeffsmith wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:02 am
I'm a water-to-grain person myself. Grain in my MLT (with false bottom) and then underlet with my pump. Rarely end up with any dough balls and temps are pretty consistent.
I was actually going to mention that if you're doing water to grain filling from the bottom is said to reduce doughballs and work really well.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:30 am

LeafMan66_67 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:10 pm
RubberToe wrote:I'm in the add grains to the water camp, and I add to my full water volume. I consistently have well attenuated beers so I think it's a non-issue.
Same here. I add grain slowly to full volume of strike water, haven't had attenuation issues.
Same process for me
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

Andre
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Andre

Post by Andre » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:24 am

Grain to water here, I went from BIAB to a cooler, so going grain to water was what I knew. Never had any apparent issue with it.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”