Modest brew op

A spot to talk general homebrew
NoWittyName

Modest brew op

Post by NoWittyName » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:43 pm

I have a little space in the basement - maybe 12*6 feet - which I would like to dedicate to a very small beer brewing spot. Pretty much a beginner, I do all grain with some basic equipment. If anyone has any tips about how to set something up (or how I could shamelessly copy what you may have set up), I would be really appreciative.

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Re: Modest brew op

Post by Woody » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:37 pm

Nothing shameless about copying a way of brewing. Head to a local meeting and meet some brewers. I think you will get allot of invites to watch a brew day. You can then decide what all grain style of brewing works best for you. I BIAB and with a basket depending on the size of grain bill. I typically do 10-12 gallon batches on my electric set up. 5 hours from start to finish and it works really well for me. I like the simplicity and quick clean up. :cheers2:

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:19 pm

You should list your equipment and maybe some goals with brewing. I would definitely live to give some input on how to utilize the space.

Are you thinking boil outside and just have the space for storage and fermentation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:23 pm

NoWittyName wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:43 pm
I have a little space in the basement - maybe 12*6 feet - which I would like to dedicate to a very small beer brewing spot. Pretty much a beginner, I do all grain with some basic equipment. If anyone has any tips about how to set something up (or how I could shamelessly copy what you may have set up), I would be really appreciative.
I've got a 1 barrel setup in my 12*14 room if you want to pop out and get an idea for the setup. I'm in lower Sackville.
I have a lot of space wasted in the center of my room. 12*6 will be tight, but definitely doable. :cheers2:
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

NoWittyName

Post by NoWittyName » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:04 pm

Woody wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:37 pm
Nothing shameless about copying a way of brewing. Head to a local meeting and meet some brewers. I think you will get allot of invites to watch a brew day. You can then decide what all grain style of brewing works best for you. I BIAB and with a basket depending on the size of grain bill. I typically do 10-12 gallon batches on my electric set up. 5 hours from start to finish and it works really well for me. I like the simplicity and quick clean up. :cheers2:
Thank you! What do you mean by local meeting? I definitely like the idea of simplicity! I currently do 23 litre batches, BIAB, but it is too random at the moment.

NoWittyName

Post by NoWittyName » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:09 pm

oceanic_brew wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:19 pm
You should list your equipment and maybe some goals with brewing. I would definitely live to give some input on how to utilize the space.

Are you thinking boil outside and just have the space for storage and fermentation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point. I started listing equipment, but basically http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/prod ... it-dlx.htm. I would be open to ideas though - kegs, grainfather........

My preference would be to do everything in one spot, but ventilation may be an issue. Currently boil outside.

Really appreciate the response.

NoWittyName

Post by NoWittyName » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:11 pm

Keith wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:23 pm
NoWittyName wrote:
I've got a 1 barrel setup in my 12*14 room if you want to pop out and get an idea for the setup. I'm in lower Sackville.
I have a lot of space wasted in the center of my room. 12*6 will be tight, but definitely doable. :cheers2:
Thank you! You would not have a picture so I could get an idea would you? Feel free to message, but no issue if none is to hand. 12*6 was a bit of a guess. I will measure properly.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:41 am

See my signature for a "small" indoor electric BIAB setup in the event that Keith's brewery scares you off. You'd likely want to go a bit smaller scale than me. Not sure if a 110v electric 23L setup is feasable with a simple controller but I'm sure there are builds like that out there.

:cheers:
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:28 am

NoWittyName wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:04 pm
Woody wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:37 pm
Thank you! What do you mean by local meeting? I definitely like the idea of simplicity! I currently do 23 litre batches, BIAB, but it is too random at the moment.
Depending on where you live there are meetings. The Halifax crew get together monthly and a group of us here in Truro get together every few months. Brewnosers are everywhere and I'm sure you can find a group to meet with. We get together, share and talk beer/brewing. You can find meetings under the events tab.

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by Keith » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:31 pm

NoWittyName wrote:
Keith wrote:
NoWittyName wrote:
Thank you! You would not have a picture so I could get an idea would you? Feel free to message, but no issue if none is to hand. 12*6 was a bit of a guess. I will measure properly.
Ventilation isn't overly expensive for your size. Likely run you 400 with piping out the side.

Attached is an older pic of the brewery. Don't have anything more recent. I went a bit iverboatImage

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by Keith » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:32 pm

Keith wrote:
NoWittyName wrote:
Keith wrote:
Ventilation isn't overly expensive for your size. Likely run you 400 with piping out the side.

Attached is an older pic of the brewery. Don't have anything more recent. I went a bit iverboatImage

Wife just smacked the phone out of my hand typing this haha. Lost my train of thought but that last word is suppose to be overboard lol.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”