Adding a Whirlpool Arm

A spot to talk general homebrew
ivorm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ivor

Adding a Whirlpool Arm

Post by ivorm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:40 pm

What do most people do for adding a whirlpool arm to their kettles? I use an immersion chiller and I want to add a whirlpool arm to circulate while cooling but I have a couple questions. I have a 20 gallon kettle from everwood, it's about 17-18" high and I typically only brew 10 gallon batches.

1. Does everyone just make these out of stainless steel nipples/elbows/barb fittings or is there somewhere I can get a nice piece stainless steel dip tube made with a compression fitting? Maybe copper would work?

2. What height should I put the port at (I was thinking the same height as my thermometer height) or should I put it up high and extend it down with a stainless steel nipple and add an elbow there?

Thanks

Edit: shit, I thought I put this in the DIY category but I guess I didn't. Feel free to move it.
Last edited by ivorm on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Re: Adding a Whirlpool Arm

Post by Keith » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:40 pm

ivorm wrote:What do most people do for adding a whirlpool arm to their kettles? I use an immersion chiller and I want to add a whirlpool arm to circulate while cooling but I have a couple questions. I have a 20 gallon kettle from everwood, it's about 17-18" high and I typically only brew 10 gallon batches.

1. Does everyone just make these out of stainless steel nipples/elbows/barb fittings or is there somewhere I can get a nice piece stainless steel dip tube made with a compression fitting? Maybe copper would work?

2. What height should I put the port at (I was thinking the same height as my thermometer height) or should I put it up high and extend it down with a stainless steel nipple and add an elbow there?

Thanks

Edit: shit, I thought I put this in the DIY category but I guess I didn't. Feel free to move it.
Check mine when you pop out for the burner. I use to use an immersion on this setup.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:30 pm

I took the thermometer out of my 19G kettle and added a ball valve outside and a stainless elbow on the inside. Works fine for 5G and 10G batches.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:31 pm

I also go without a thermometer in my upper port, but instead of an elbow I use an SS Brewtech whirlpool attachment.

I believe they're sold both as a kit for weldless (attachment + weldless bulkhead) and as just the attachment.

I love it.

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ivorm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:01 pm

I think I'll try it with the elbow in the thermometer port first. I don't really use the thermometer much anyway except for watching my temp before boiling and chilling and I can use my regular thermometer for that.

I'd like to have one of those purpose made ones, I like those spincycle ones to, but I won't be able get one before Sunday.

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ivorm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:21 pm

Tried out the whirlpool arm mounted in the thermometer hole this weekend. It worked great! Almost all the hop and break material was separated out. It formed a nice cone that settled out in the middle. Image

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”