Buy Grains in Sydney??

A spot to talk general homebrew
BigEasy
Name: ian macinnis

Buy Grains in Sydney??

Post by BigEasy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Is there anywhere to buy grains in Sydney that anyone knows of? I know I can order online, but always trying to save some cash with shipping...

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Re: Buy Grains in Sydney??

Post by elreplica » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 pm

Funny...haven't heard much from there...there's a buddy who posts from port hawksbury and I cannot remember his name...a small shop if I recall...Jason Loxton from your area has a good read on things...and I met a dude from inverness who was a hops/ Grain buyer at everwood...Sydney should/could be a great niche market given its location...start it up bro!
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:41 pm

To the best of my knowledge no. (I've lived here for 5 years.) Perhaps you might be able to grab sacks from Breton. I don't know if anyone has ever tried. I think (but am not sure) I recall someone getting some grain off of Big Spruce at one point, but I could be totally off base on that.

I don't know that the market up here is large enough to support a store that would have fresh ingredients anyway. Not enough turn over. I think the best bet would be periodically doing group orders from somewhere like Everwood. (Although the shipping is pretty darn cheap regardless: I just got an order from OBK that included a ton of specialty grain and it only cost me $10 shipping; arrived in a couple of days.)

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:42 pm

To the best of my knowledge no. (I've lived here for 5 years.) Perhaps you might be able to get Breton to sell you sacks of base grain. I don't know if anyone has ever tried. I think I recall someone getting some grain off of Big Spruce at one point, but I could be totally off base on that.

I don't know that the market up here is large enough to support a store that would have fresh ingredients anyway. Not enough turn over. I think the best bet would be periodically doing group orders from somewhere like Everwood. (Although the shipping is pretty darn cheap regardless: I just got an order from OBK that included a ton of specialty grain and it only cost me $10 shipping; arrived in a couple of days.)

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Well, Jason...I may have used your name in vain...I was going by the fact you seem to be in the know with what's happening there - and filled in the details for those in CB needing to know...

joe_r_harvie
Name: Joe Harvie

Post by joe_r_harvie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:48 pm

Grapes and Grains at the mall in Port Hawkesbury carry base grains, and some specialty malts, yeasts and hops. That is where I go.
Primary -
Secondary -
On tap - Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Best Bitter, Blonde, Best Bitter, Premium Bitter, IPA

BigEasy
Name: ian macinnis

Post by BigEasy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:38 pm

I have always wondered if there was a market to have a craft beer store here in Sydney. But as Jason says, probably not enough of a turn over. I do have my grains for my next batch on hand, but was just curious about buying grains local. Thanks

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:54 am

joe_r_harvie wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:48 pm
Grapes and Grains at the mall in Port Hawkesbury carry base grains, and some specialty malts, yeasts and hops. That is where I go.
That's the one I'm thinking of in the Port...

EastCoastHoppers
Vendor
Vendor
Name: Matt

Post by EastCoastHoppers » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:52 am

If there was enough people interested and you all wanted to stock up with a few months worth of supplies, I could potentially plan a road trip to Sydney to cart up as many sacks of malt and other brewing supplies as you want. Would require lots of notice and obviously enough individual orders to cover the costs and time to do it but I'd be more than willing to do that. I could start a thread in my vendor section to see if there is enough interest if you want?

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”