Page 1 of 1

Grains to have on hand

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:36 pm
by Jimmy
So since I haven't done an all grain brew yet, I am in the dark as to what are the best/common grains to have on hand as well as quantities (obviously this depends on how much you brew).

I like anything from browns and porters to IPA's...I especially enjoyed Tims Black IPA from Hoptoberfest :drool:

Does anyone have any grain buying advice?

Oh...and some hop advice wouldn't hurt either

Re: Grains to have on hand

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:52 pm
by LiverDance
For base malts you could grab a bag of 2 row and a bag of marris otter to start. They will be good bases for ipa's and porter styles. After that I would check out some recipes your interested in and then order a couple of .1 partial bags of common specialty malts in them. Don't go overboard though, you don't want to buy too many specialty malts and even if you don't have em then NG sells most of them.

Re: Grains to have on hand

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:53 pm
by Jimmy
Thanks for your excellent advice Mr Liver, it is much appreciated

Re: Grains to have on hand

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:45 pm
by mr x
And if you are looking for a specialty grain that you can't get locally, I'm sure that you can find someone willing to part with a pound or two. I like to make sure I have a bag of 2row, pilsner, and MO on hand as base malts.

For hops, get a nice high alpha bittering type, 10%aa and up, and maybe some citrus type, and a noble type. It really depends on where you plan to go with your recipes....

Re: Grains to have on hand

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:55 pm
by akr71
On top of what has been mentioned, I like to have light crystal, med crystal and dark crystal on hand, black patent, roast barley and chocolate malt will be a boon for porters and stouts - all of these can be found at Noble Grape if you are in a pinch.

Re: Grains to have on hand

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:09 pm
by mr x
Those are good choices, although NG limits itself from c30 to c120.

Re: Grains to have on hand

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:51 pm
by akr71
mr x wrote:Those are good choices, although NG limits itself from c30 to c120.
I sure do like c15 and c150.