A spot to talk general homebrew
Beert
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Bert

Sprayer/Line cleaner Build

Post by Beert » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:40 pm

Hey All,
I want to build a line cleaner and I’m wondering what everyone is using for a garden/lawn sprayer.
Any tips on fittings used to get a liquid ball lock post attached to it would be appreciated.
Everwood has 9/32 - 1/4 male post adapters and 9/32 -1/4 female (I think). I’m expecting to have to use one of these but figure it might be hard to find a coupling that goes from 1/4 male or female to whatever thread might be on the sprayer.
Thanks!

wader98
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Wade

Re: Sprayer/Line cleaner Build

Post by wader98 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:08 pm

Not sure if this is what your looking for : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/thre ... er.226497/

sheppard107
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Chris S

Post by sheppard107 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:24 pm

I was going to do something similar. But in the end I just stuck a piece of 1/2" tubing on the sprayer and then jammed that onto my tap. I force the cleaner backwards through the system. It works fine.
IMG_20180115_201902695.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ON TAP: Crazy Corvid English Pale Ale, Unlucky Sunday Rye Stout
BOTTLED: n/a
IN PROGRESS: Snowy Mountain Pale Ale

Beert
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Beert » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:36 pm

Thanks Wader,
This is exactly what I am looking to do. I had stumbled on that forum but was hoping to source everything in Nova Scotia. Home Depot in Canada might(?) carry that sprayer but I doubt it would be easy to find the coupling let alone a 3/8 threaded liquid post (didn’t even know they made such a thing honestly.)
I was hoping to get some feedback from Brewnosers who have built something similar, hopefully with everything sourced from HRM.
Cheers

Beert
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Beert » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:40 pm

sheppard107 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:24 pm
I was going to do something similar. But in the end I just stuck a piece of 1/2" tubing on the sprayer and then jammed that onto my tap. I force the cleaner backwards through the system. It works fine. IMG_20180115_201902695.jpg
Gee, looks like that would work fine.
Thanks Man.

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Post by sleepyjamie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:30 am

I use a sump pump and recirculate
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:13 am

I do the same as sleepyjamie. Remove the 2 taps and connect with a small piece of hose between these

http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/product-p/36491.htm

and recirculate. Both lines at once.

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:12 am

Dave at Everwood used to have the fittings required for the hand sprayer version. I built mine with a ball lock connection on the end. It's great to use for a quick clean or portable to take to family kegprators.

I also have a small pond pump that I use to recirc line cleaner through the taps at home, using 1/2" silicon tubing to fit over the perlicks.

"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:49 am

A cheap dollar store sprayer, ball lock liquid out post and a brass adapter will drive a gusher of cleaner through your system. Initially I'll run PBW through and flush with warm water. Then I run Diversol through mine and let it sit a few...not too long as bleach isn't compatible with stainless. Another flush with water and all good. Mines an identical build to the HBT...
IMG_1258.JPG
Under $20...cannot go wrong!
PS - no pulling taps apart or fussfvcking on...although I might do it once a season or year... :smoker:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

Beert
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Beert » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:48 pm

elreplica wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:49 am
A cheap dollar store sprayer, ball lock liquid out post and a brass adapter will drive a gusher of cleaner through your system. Initially I'll run PBW through and flush with warm water. Then I run Diversol through mine and let it sit a few...not too long as bleach isn't compatible with stainless. Another flush with water and all good. Mines an identical build to the HBT...IMG_1258.JPG
Under $20...cannot go wrong!
PS - no pulling taps apart or fussfvcking on...although I might do it once a season or year... :smoker:
Did you get the coupler from Everwood?
I had a look at Kent, albeit a quick look. but didn’t find what I was looking for and haven’t had a chance to stop into Everwood recently.
Also, if that’s a Firestone liq. ball post it should 5/8. If that’s a 3/8 fitting then I guess if you use enough Teflon tape it will work.
Thanks!

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Uhmmm...not sure exactly beert...I just brought an old ball lock post with me to home hardware and matched it up with the coupler on a sprayer they had...teflon tape sealed it...it didn't thread perfectly and I probably cut some new ones while screwing it on and it's all good...dropped the sprayer on garage floor and now it leaks due to a hairline crack but it still dies the job...waiting now for Dallas store to put them out in March for spring and I'll grab a couple for spares...$3/ each lol
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”