What's everyone brewing?

A spot to talk general homebrew
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: What's everyone making this weekend?

Post by mr x » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:32 am

Couldn't find honey malt in the city?
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

JEH
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JEH » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:05 am

I didn't start looking until about supper time, so just went to the NG near my place. Probably should have tried another one but I was in a bit of a rush. I'm sure the change can't be THAT bad, can it?
Serving:
-Strong Bitter
-Double Chocolate Espresso Stout
Fermenting/Conditioning:
-Robust Porter
-Raspberry Wheat
-American Pale Ale

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:09 am

I'm sure it's fine. I was just more curious if they still carry that malt.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:24 pm

It's still around, i've seen it in a couple of places.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:19 pm

benwedge wrote:Is anyone brewing this weekend? I posted over at the Club Discussion earlier about a "learn to brew day." I'm certainly interested in learning about all-grain brewing, and as I said on the other thread, I'm prepared to work, learn, and bring some food or whatever else is asked of me.
JEH wrote:That's a good idea Ben. I am in the same situation as you, so would be happy to spend my Saturday learning something. I could chip in on supplies, bring food, do whatever. It would be a good way for me, and any other newer members to meet the group
LiverDance and I will be brewing Saturday morning, starting at 10am, probably going till 3ish. It will be at LD's 1029 Brewing, in Spryfield. Please email/direct message me for the details. No need to bring anything, BUT... if you have any homebrew you'd like to share, or maybe a snack, we wouldn't turn it away. :) That will save a pizza or McD's run during the boil. :)

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:28 pm

I bought some honey malt from the noble grape a while back. I might still have some. If you still need it PM me and I will help you out if I can!

Jason

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ben Wedge

Post by benwedge » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:47 pm

chalmers wrote:LiverDance and I will be brewing Saturday morning, starting at 10am, probably going till 3ish. It will be at LD's 1029 Brewing, in Spryfield. Please email/direct message me for the details. No need to bring anything, BUT... if you have any homebrew you'd like to share, or maybe a snack, we wouldn't turn it away. :) That will save a pizza or McD's run during the boil. :)
Darn! Thanks for the offer, but I'm out of town every weekend until May 7th... I'll keep my eye on this thread over the summer though.
Brewing right now: whatever is going on tap at Stillwell in a few weeks.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:31 am

It's a good thing that nobody took chalmers and I up on our offer to brew this weekend, we had the worst brew day to date. It started off by finding out that the mash tun had a leak; tried to fix it but it was a goner. So after 2hrs had passed of trying to fix that one we decided to borrow another one and continue the day. Everything from there went ok until we dropped in the wort chiller to find out the copper had split on the understide of one of the coils so we ended up shooting hose water straight into the boil kettle till be could get the hose shut off. This was after we couldn't get the plate chiller to work right due to a blockage. It truely was Satan's Porter :evil: So like any good brewers would do we started up the boil again, boiled it another 15 mins, scooped it out of the kettle with a sauce pan cause the valve hose was plugged and chilled it with a smaill 3/8" chiller in the individual primary buckets. So after all that lets still hope it wants to be beer X)
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ben Wedge

Post by benwedge » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:48 am

LiverDance wrote:It's a good thing that nobody took chalmers and I up on our offer to brew this weekend, we had the worst brew day to date. It started off by finding out that the mash tun had a leak; tried to fix it but it was a goner. So after 2hrs had passed of trying to fix that one we decided to borrow another one and continue the day. Everything from there went ok until we dropped in the wort chiller to find out the copper had split on the understide of one of the coils so we ended up shooting hose water straight into the boil kettle till be could get the hose shut off. This was after we couldn't get the plate chiller to work right due to a blockage. It truely was Satan's Porter :evil: So like any good brewers would do we started up the boil again, boiled it another 15 mins, scooped it out of the kettle with a sauce pan cause the valve hose was plugged and chilled it with a smaill 3/8" chiller in the individual primary buckets. So after all that lets still hope it wants to be beer X)
Ouch. Learning damage control is an important part of the process too! Hopefully it does turn out.
Brewing right now: whatever is going on tap at Stillwell in a few weeks.

JEH
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JEH » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:05 pm

thanks for the offer guys, and sorry i didnt make it. i was studying for an exam all weekend. unfortunately that studying means i cant make tonights meeting too. hopefully next time i can make it out for a saturday brew session!
Serving:
-Strong Bitter
Fermenting/Conditioning:
-Robust Porter
-Raspberry Wheat
-American Pale Ale

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:53 am

I'm going to re-attempt the Boddington's clone for my wife that I had to pour down the drain ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=528" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). I'm brewing this up on Monday, so I have a couple name ideas - tell me your favorite (or throw another at me).

Boddington Resurrection
ZomBoddie
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:20 am

Marketing tag "...with this beer your a zomboddie"

JEH
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JEH » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:46 am

Was planning to brew the BCS strong bitter recipe today as my first all-grain batch, but just realized stores are closed and i cant get what I need for it. So will be brewing that tomorrow or sunday!
Serving:
-Strong Bitter
Fermenting/Conditioning:
-Robust Porter
-Raspberry Wheat
-American Pale Ale

maltster
Verified User
Verified User

Post by maltster » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:16 pm

The weather was nice so I decided to brew outside on the deck today. I'm trying LD's/Chalmers' "Satan's (Maple) Porter" with a little added fenugreek.
outdoor_brew_setup.JPG
mapleporter4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:46 pm

bbqs, workmate, lol, I like it.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:20 pm

Looking good! I should transfer mine to keg in a few days, to try and tame this beast! :)

moxie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Patrick

Post by moxie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:54 pm

Got the day off today, brewing up another batch of EdWort's Pale Ale. :thumbup:

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:28 am

Its been too long since I last brewed, so I am taking Friday off and getting some brewing done. I am aiming for two 5 gallon batches. That dastardly Boddington's clone I can't seem to get around to and a Weizen (after this past weekend, I'd better get some summer beers on the go).
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:32 am

It seems like a long time since I brewed as well, the keggerator has been taking a beating for sure. I'll be brewing up an Irish Red and APA on Saturday :cheers3:

TimG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Gallant

Post by TimG » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:46 pm

Curious to hear what you have planned for that Irish Red?

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Posted in the recipe section Tim.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Fri May 13, 2011 10:59 am

This weekend I'll be brewing up a double batch of pilsner for a summer wedding, I may also brew something else to test out my recently put together ekettle for indoor brewing, lord knows the weather is right for it lately :wtf:

GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Name: David Gillett

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Fri May 13, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm going to do a pilsner as well and maybe a ginger beer.

Next week should be a spruce-tip ale!

moxie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Patrick

Post by moxie » Fri May 13, 2011 1:07 pm

Fishdisease wrote:I'm going to do a pilsner as well and maybe a ginger beer.

Next week should be a spruce-tip ale!
Dave, do you keg your ginger beer? Do you reserve a keg strictly for that purpose? One of my kegs has a case of invincible root-beer smell, so I am thinking about turning it into a ginger beer keg.

GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Name: David Gillett

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Fri May 13, 2011 2:44 pm

I've never kegged the ginger beer before but I'm considering it this time. It does take a bit to clear in the bottle (4-6 weeks) so maybe it'll clear faster in the keg, plus I'm lazy and hate washing bottles.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”