Too cool for skool

A spot to talk general homebrew
Cully

Too cool for skool

Post by Cully » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:17 pm

I know the answer to my question is don't be silly. But, one has to ask it especially as a year novice in this area. I have completed two Festa Brews (one was a lager that turned out some good, despite fermenting too warm), two Brewhouse, one BIAB and just got into "real" grain brewing yesterday. While I stood in my garage with buddies overlooking the amazingly scenic Bedford Basin on grain mash brew day (yesterday), one of my mentors stated (as he drank the beer from the kit) that it was great to see me doing "proper brewing" and getting away from the, and I quote "lazy-ass, redneck, overpriced wort kits". I then asked the assembled group who all agreed. Now, am I hanging with the only snobby brewers in NS or in fact, are the kits (that were easy to do and I have to say, no one complained about the product yesterday) 'uncool'? Again, I know the answer is "brew what you want when", but just want to get an idea from the community, (because my boys were quite unanimous) in case I am to face more brew-based bullying (ha ha) from future kit brews. Happy brewing to you all.

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Re: Too cool for skool

Post by mckay75 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:22 pm

You are correct. The snobbery is real. Haha

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steffen Rosswog

Post by RossBee » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Next time ask "your boys" to bring their home brew. Nothing wrong with what you are doing.
Why brew beer I can buy?

MacMan
Name: Andy

Post by MacMan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:50 pm

I will brew either, the important part is never to run out of beer!! lol... I will probably toss a kit on this weekend and an all grain because I can.
Kegged 1: Best Case West Coast IPA
Kegged 2: Bestcase Honey Wheat IPA
Kegged 3: Bestcase Irish Red IPA
Fermenting: TBD

saosborne
Verified User
Verified User
Name: sean osborne

Post by saosborne » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:29 am

Sometime all you have time for is to throw some yeast into a bucket. Overpriced? How much is a six pack at the lcbo?

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:04 am

I from time to time use BH and Ferta. Time is more available now I'm retired but still life and beer swilling friends make kits necessary.

Using wine as an example I don't crush my own grapes but Tim at MB&W entered one of my wines in a California amateur wine competition and i got a bronze for a Merlot.

Do what you do and use the kits to work on sanitation, process and temp control.

S

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Post by danlatimer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:42 am

Partial mash costs less if you consider the time you put into an all grain brew even paying yourself min wage haha.

Me and my friends mostly all grain brew now but if we're brewing separately we often do partial mash, sometimes you don't feel like spending 5-6 hours on your own making a beer. Also some of our favourite beer recipes are still partial mash recipes.

McGrath1990
Name: Josh

Post by McGrath1990 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:50 am

I just did my first all grain this weekend. I have a 3 year old and an 6 month old. As much as I loved the AG process and doing it from scratch, I KNOW I won't have time for AG everytime. Not only that but I don't have the available space to brew in the winter so have to wait for a nice day.

I know moving forward I'll have to do a mix between extract, all grain and festa. One way I do like to spice up festa or other kits is to add my own hops.

Just do what you enjoy.

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:08 am

I just got back into brewing a few months back, since I moved back from Alberta. I also have a just over 2 month old baby. I brew what I have time for, as others have said. I Switch between extract and BIAB mostly, but did toss in one festa brew brown that I modified a bit a month or so back. I really enjoy the Brown Ale that comes from the festa. So no, brew what you want and what you like. I noticed from lurking in here, and from a few nice folks that had me over for a brew day, that everyone in here is super nice and not one bit snobby.
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 am

I’ve spent the last 25 years of my life (hopefully it’s not the last 25 Years!!!) drinking/brewing, playing/writing music, building cabinets/houses. In each of these ventures the more you immerse yourself into them and get closer to total control over the process the more “snobbery” you find and also the more you find misinformed people who continue to bring up inconsequential non-issues about an experienced professional who is too busy perfecting something than making sure to maintain a culturally appropriate level of modesty.

I guarantee there’s people who would read Brew Like A Monk or read through the bottle list at Stillwell and say “jesus bys it’s just beer”

There’s also a thing I’ve been pondering on lately which i would like to call “reverse-snobbery” which is just snobbery. It’s people who only drink or consume mass produced products like Tim Hortons and Bud Light. They consider themselves “normal” but from the time they wake up to the time they fall asleep some major corporation has them on all fours bent over. They view those of us who drink Westmalle and coffee with flavor as snobs. But in actual fact some of these people are die hard bud light and Tim Hortons people who think everything else is shit. It’s the exact mentality some criticize but reversed.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Brew the beer you like to drink, you can put in as much or as little effort as you feel like. This is a hobby, nothing more
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steve M

Post by Broob » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:04 pm

I think about it like eating. Sometimes I like to go to a restaurant (like buying beer). Sometimes I like to throw a frozen pizza in the oven (like brewing festa or extract) and sometimes I like to make something from scratch (like all grain). Depends on my mood and how much time I have.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Broob wrote:I think about it like eating. Sometimes I like to go to a restaurant (like buying beer). Sometimes I like to throw a frozen pizza in the oven (like brewing festa or extract) and sometimes I like to make something from scratch (like all grain). Depends on my mood and how much time I have.
Exactly!

They all have their place given the increasingly busy lifestyles we all enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:32 pm

GAM wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:04 am
I from time to time use BH and Ferta. Time is more available now I'm retired but still life and beer swilling friends make kits necessary.

Using wine as an example I don't crush my own grapes but Tim at MB&W entered one of my wines in a California amateur wine competition and i got a bronze for a Merlot.

Do what you do and use the kits to work on sanitation, process and temp control.

S
Exactly...I am guilty of BH, Festa, all Grain and extract...all things depend on my motivation level...which is why I lately buy kegs of craft beer lol.
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Lisa James

Post by Lisa J » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:33 pm

I'm working full time, teaching 2 courses at Dal, volunteering, training a new puppy and running 2 kids around. Not much time to brew until April. Kits are sounding like a good idea right about now. And I think I'll try out some of the "short & shoddy" all grain techniques that have achieved statistically significant good results for the folks at Brulosophy. Do what you have to do to keep your beer in good supply!! Pay no heed to the beer bullies.
On Tap at The Frisky Lemur Pub: Pumpkin Spice Ale; Frisky Lemur IPA; ESB; CranApple Cider; RazBerliner
Fermenting/Conditioning/Bottled: Joyeux Noel Holiday Spiced Ale; NEIPA
On Deck: Altbier; NEIPA; Oatmeal Stout

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”