A spot to talk general homebrew
oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Converting to indoor electric.. looking for help/advice

Post by oceanic_brew » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Hey!

I’m converting from a 1 tier, 3 vessel, 1 pump outdoor propane to an indoor electric setup. I have Dave at everwood fixing me up with a 5500 watt element in the HLT and the BK, ordered a Hosehead controller which is gonna be here Tuesday/Wednesday and my electrician is coming Thursday or Friday to install a 50 amp GFCI in my panel.

My question to you guys is what’s everyone doing for ventilation? I’m building my own rangehood but looking around online and it seems quite expensive for enough CFMs on an in-line fan. I only have about 3ft of run and one 90deg elbow to get outside which is nice.

Anyone know of a good spot to purchase inline fans around HRM?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Re: Converting to indoor electric.. looking for help/advice

Post by Jimmy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:42 pm

oceanic_brew wrote:Hey!

I’m converting from a 1 tier, 3 vessel, 1 pump outdoor propane to an indoor electric setup. I have Dave at everwood fixing me up with a 5500 watt element in the HLT and the BK, ordered a Hosehead controller which is gonna be here Tuesday/Wednesday and my electrician is coming Thursday or Friday to install a 50 amp GFCI in my panel.

My question to you guys is what’s everyone doing for ventilation? I’m building my own rangehood but looking around online and it seems quite expensive for enough CFMs on an in-line fan. I only have about 3ft of run and one 90deg elbow to get outside which is nice.

Thanks!

I purchased mine on Amazon, and I think it was about $80 if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by oceanic_brew » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:55 pm

Jimmy wrote:

Thanks!

I purchased mine on Amazon, and I think it was about $80 if I remember correctly.

What’s your setup like? Does it seem to be working well? All the fans I’ve seen in the 300-500 CFM range were double that price

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:27 pm

oceanic_brew wrote:
Jimmy wrote:

Thanks!

What’s your setup like? Does it seem to be working well? All the fans I’ve seen in the 300-500 CFM range were double that price

The one I use is something like the one below. Mine is 800cfm if I remember correctly - works great but you could definitely get away with smaller.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B019J979C ... fan+6+inch

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by oceanic_brew » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Awesome! Thanks. I ended up going with a vortex 6” in-line fan which was recommended on the electric brewery website. It is however only 347 CFM

I’ve read that its recommended to have at least 500 CFM with a certain size hood for 5 gallon with 5500 watt element. However it seems a lot of people are gettin away with less and I have only about 2ft Of run to get outside the house so I should be getting pretty close to that CFM rating on the fan.

Either way the vortex seemed like a well made product but their higher CFM fans required a 8” duct and were about $280 shipped. This one was $230

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Good choice. I've been eyeing those up for when I get back into brewing again!

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”