Page 1 of 1

Using an old yeast cake

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:18 pm
by SFR709
Hey guys, I was wondering how long have people gone (or recommend going) before either washing yeast from an older yeast cake or just pouring the wort right on top of an old yeast cake.

Obviously it would have been best to either make a double starter Brulosophy style or wash it right away... But here I am lazy and cheap haha.

*note: the carboy has been sealed since I kegged the beer and I left a little better than 2” of beer on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Using an old yeast cake

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:38 pm
by Woody
Is this yeast cake in a carboy filled with air? or carboy/conical purged with co2 ? Air is your enemy and while I have nothing to base this on I wouldn't leave it long exposed to air even with a few inches of beer on top. If you don't rack on the yeast cake within a day I'd toss it if not purged with CO2. Perhaps someone else has tried it with luck it's just not worth loosing a batch. I've done the same and seen mold in carboys days later so my gut says unless you purged your vessel with CO2 dump it. X)

Re: Using an old yeast cake

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:17 am
by SFR709
Thanks for your reply woody I appreciate it. I was thinking much the same, and no it’s not purged. I’ve never used an old one before but I was just curious what other people’s experiences have been. Even how long people have let one sit before washing it and using it in a starter. I understand that there could be a few factors effecting it I’m just curious.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Using an old yeast cake

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:20 am
by oceanic_brew
I would certainly toss it. The yeast is likely still healthy depending on the age. It could be 3x as much yeast as you need. The lack of any sort of pellicle or biofilm on top of the beer covering the cake is a good sign but unfortunately no indication of if it’s contaminated or not.

Not worth it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Using an old yeast cake

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:13 pm
by SFR709
Thanks fellas, I’ve certainly never done it before but I was just wondering if I was tossing something I could potentially salvage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk